5" rio mag - growout

Brandonclark88

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2017
If it's 5" it's not too promising that it's a male. Do you have any other fish with it? If you keep a mirror placed up to the tank it will help you sex the fish. If it's a male it will be very agressive and turn very colorful. If it's a female it may show signs of spawning with the mirror. Keep an eye out for any black in the dorsal or the anal fins. That's a dead give away of a female

Escongleam

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2017
If it's 5" it's not too promising that it's a male. Do you have any other fish with it? If you keep a mirror placed up to the tank it will help you sex the fish. If it's a male it will be very agressive and turn very colorful. If it's a female it may show signs of spawning with the mirror. Keep an eye out for any black in the dorsal or the anal fins. That's a dead give away of a female
Thanks for your comments ..... it is actually growing pretty slow too. I am hoping for one male, I have a 2” Guatape I am growing out and also just received 3 from Río San Juan Choco ....

Escongleam

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2017
well still hoping ..... per your advice I one of new umbees, similar size ( shows some nice color ) in the tank with him and he immediately started flaring and then lip locked. It’s color shifted pretty dramatically, body going very dark green and some nice blue spotting in dorsal and tail. Didn’t see any black in fins..... separated them into separate tanks and am crossing fingers ..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store