What brackish fish can also live in hardwater communities

Narwhal

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2017
I was doing some reading, and saw knight gobies can live in hardwater freshwater tanks, with rainbowfish and tanganikan cichlids, and will even breed in freshwater. Are their any other brackish fish that can live in high ph and gh tanks? (I know the majority wont do well)

jonah h2o

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2016
san diego California
omg I just saw the title and was going to comment knight gobies

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Tripple f

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
I was doing some reading, and saw knight gobies can live in hardwater freshwater tanks, with rainbowfish and tanganikan cichlids, and will even breed in freshwater. Are their any other brackish fish that can live in high ph and gh tanks? (I know the majority wont do well)
My mollies are brackish and over stocked and their ph is below 50 in one tank and above 80 in another tank, and why they don't die I have not a clue because I move them in between the tanks all the time without much aclamating.

Reactions: J. H.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Livebearers are bulletproof. Most can go from soft and acidic to full seawater without any problems. Guppies are a good example.

InfinityARch

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2018
If you're talking about larger community fish, Gymnothorax Polyuranodon lives in very mild brackish (<1.004 SG) to freshwater during adulthood in nature, and from what I've heard is one of the less aggressive of the "freshwater" morays, especially given its size. But it can get as big as a fire eel potentially, so that's a potential problem.

Reactions: john_lord_b3

Kris P Bacon

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2018
GOD's country Arcadia Fl. Chasing mollies
I will echo others here. I have a tank of sailfin mollies. Had some in my 5 gallon before I set up a 29 gallon. Neither tank was cycled, had 2 gambusia die in the 5 gallon. Nothing has died in the 29G.

I have a small birdbath/pond in the yard in full sun, maybe 3/6 gallon? Have some mollies and gambusia in it. Never added water conditioner to my city water (you can smell the chlorine) Between chlorine and big differences in water temps, when I add 2 gallons (around the time it dries up) no fish deaths.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Other fish that survive in both salt and freshwater: redfish
Tarpon
Snook
Many pupfish
Alligator gar
Striped bass
Steelhead
Salmon
Salmon catfish
Scats
Mono sebae
Permit
Some jacks
Mangrove snapper
American eels
European eels
Longfin eels
Bullsharks
Smelt
Some shad
Some sturgeon
Devil damselfish
Alewife
Mayan cichlids
Black belt cichlids (some)
Papuan black bass.
Goliath grouper.
Queensland grouper.
And many others

Reactions: J. H.

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
Uropterygius Micropterus/tidepool snake eel is a brackish to marine moray species that doesn't grow large (won't exceed 30 centimeters) and are very timid, despite very snake-like appearance. If being housed with equally peaceful species, it will do well, but avoid swift fishes as thosee073-ur-mi-1.jpg can gobble up all the food faster than the eel could smell them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store