PH killing my flowerhorn?

Mitchellhowell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2018
new flowerhorn for a little over a week. LFS ph is near 8 I believe, and mine is 6. Big difference. Accolomated the fish in a few hours with drip and it seemed fine when I finally put it in. I noticed later that day it got stress bars and I assumed the ph was still to low and would need way more time to adjust. I went and got a couple buckets of well water (7.8ph) and my brothers house and the fish got it’s color back and swam happily. All week I did this daily at a ph of about 6.8 with a mix of mine and my brothers. I did 25-50% water changes all week every day due to ammonia (using prime to cycle my new filter using smaller seeded hang on backs) but yesterday I didn’t have time to get well so I used my water. I noticed this morning and all evening she stayed in the corner only coming up when was about to feed (BUT DIDNT LOSE COLOR OR GET STRESS BARS). Then go right back. The ph only went down to 6.3-6.5 but still acted odd. Earlier today I went and did a 75% water change with half well and half my water and for the rest of the day she’s super happy and swimming everywhere. She’s eaten great all week including this morning. Only about a year old now. I’m worried that over time I wouldn’t be able to slowly lower the ph to just mine so I don’t have to go dragging buckets forever. I know it isn’t ammonia bothering her either as I use prime every day and do 2x dosage so it’s all neutralized.

Mitchellhowell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2018
It was running empty the first week I got it. It was second hand and the filter she gave me was seeded but I accidentally killed the bacteria when I first filled it up without fish I didn’t dechlor until it was full and the filter was running. So I put both my old HOB on with some well established bacteria a couple days after I got the flowerhorn.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Get a TDS meter, and measure the total dissolved solids of your water. I suspect the difference in TDS is messing with the fish's osmotic regulation versus having a lower PH. Considering that FH are CA hybrids, they still need moderately hard water, and if your PH is 6 and soft water, the FH could be losing minerals from their body than they can keep. Hence the reason why it's doing better with the 50% mix.

Once you get the TDS meter, measure the TDS of your water and then go back to the fish store to find out what TDS they have. You could always bring up your TDS with regular salt mixed into your water.

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
Are you testing for nitrite? Prime doesn't detoxify nitrite despite all the claims that it does so be prepared as it will spike a little later than ammonia.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store