RTC Tiger hybrid, eating zucchini and broccoli

Loco Lucas

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2018
Belgrade Montana
So our red tailed tiger shovel nose hybrid is happily named Black Hole because he eats everything. Rocks... air stones.... to big of meals. Typical catfish.
Well yesterday he (I just call him that) ate a BIG chunk of broccoli.
Ok... so what?
He ate his pellets then ate some shrimp. Usual fare for him.
So today, not during his usual feeding time I put in more broccoli and zucchini for the pleco.
That catfish takes the biggest hunk of zucchini and tries to eat it. Well, after a struggle. He gets it down.
Better than eating rocks I guess. He is funny. Loves to hang out in the bubbles all day and wait to be fed. Hard life...
I think this is why I love my catfish. Never boring

IMG_20180524_131005_169.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Funny and interesting read. Thanks!

It is peculiar how same fish can differ. Our smallest rescue hybrid will only take meaty food, fish etc. Looks at pellets as if it's silt.

Be careful with rocks. This kind of fish, RTC, TSN, hybrid, have been known to eat enough substrate to clog themselves completely.

Reactions: Loco Lucas

Loco Lucas

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2018
Belgrade Montana
Funny and interesting read. Thanks!

It is peculiar how same fish can differ. Our smallest rescue hybrid will only take meaty food, fish etc. Looks at pellets as if it's silt.

Be careful with rocks. This kind of fish, RTC, TSN, hybrid, have been known to eat enough substrate to clog themselves completely.
Yeah... we lost a 13" RTC hybrid because it ate a lava rock. Our big one ate an air stone, but I removed it. Will they eat gravel till they die too?

Loco Lucas

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2018
Belgrade Montana
Update.... that idiot ate the last hunk of zucchini today. He is totally bloated with veggies. Well, good for him. Hahhahaa time to rethink his entire enclosure

Loco Lucas

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2018
Belgrade Montana
What I want to do is have both cats in the same tank... they are the same length, but the RTC has the bulk.
Maybe stripping the big tank of all gravel but for the big rocks then putting them together will work.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
If they ingest enough gravel and pass it into intestine from the stomach, game's over. It's known to have happened for great many keepers.

The black shark is a bait snack for the RTC. Sooner or later it will eat it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store