Are snails a good idea to control algae?

waytoodeep03

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2009
florida
I have brown diatoms that are taking over my Cichlid tank. I was thinking of getting phosguard to get rid of them but then I know I may get green algae after that. I have two pleco's(common and albino bristlenose) and neither touch the brown algae

So would snails be a good idea?

My tank consists of South Americans. I don't want them to eat the snails and don't want my tank to be overrun with snails. The tank is 120 gallon long so how many would I need to clean it and keep it clean?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
What is your water change schedule like? Light cycle? Level of nitrates?
Too many diatoms usually can be controlled by keeping the water clean, excess brown algae often points to less than ideal water quality. Snails will eat some but won't get it all evenly, solving the problem that is causing it, is a better solution.

Reactions: tlindsey

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
two pleco's
overrun with snails
how many would I need
hello; The number of snails is proportional to the food available to them. Overfeed and you will have many snails.

You will have a potential problem with the plecos in that the plecos are vegetarians and their digestive system is not very efficient, could be only around 50%. This can mean there is plenty of food energy in the pleco poo. The snails will convert this to more snails.
This was a good thing back when I kept a pleco. After adding snails they broke up the long stringy pleco poo. Made the tank look much better.

ASs far as how many the conditions of the tank will determine the number. Add some red Ramshorn snails and in a few weeks they will have laid some eggs that hatch. In a few months you can have a lot if they have plenty to eat.

I like snails and with decent management they are a benefit.

Snails will eat some but won't get it all evenly,
Hello; This.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I can’t say snails are the answer to brown algae. But the best snail (imo) is nitrite snails. They can’t reproduce in freshwater and won’t get eaten by cichlids. At least, they will be a lot less likely to be eaten.
My male gt loves ramshorn snails and will kill even the biggest adults. Yet my nitrite snails have survived him and even my gsp can’t kill them.
Since adding them I haven’t had any algae issues. They even ate the black beard algae that was plaguing my rocks.

Reactions: imabot and tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee

Although snails eat algae, the ruts where the algae they have eaten are proportionate to their size. In my tanks, they leave tiny pathways, hardly worth the waste they produce.
I like the ones in the photo above because they work through the substrate ar night, keeping it aerated and from compacting. As far as decor, to me algae is, and looks natural, and helps control nitrate, so the only place I care to remove it is on the front glass, the old fashioned way.

as you can see, they've really done a bang up job of removing the algae on this log.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store