Algae in fh tank, pleco not compatible

Tobeyh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2018
So I had to remove the pleco from the fh tank in fears he was going to get killed, picture of him after I had removed him to another tank below, he got pretty nipped up, nearly all healed now.

Now my issue is algae in the tank and on the driftwood, weekly 50% water changes, trickle sump etc. So I'm on top of that, but!
Is there any type of algae eating fish that anyone can think of that would be compatible, I was almost thinking a large bristlenose which is still small because he'd be able to hide during the day? Or unless there's an additive that keeps the algae at bay.

The fh is 100% more active now she has the tank to herself though which is my main concern as I like the way she is now in the tank. Comes to surface to wait for me to feed etc

Pictures of below just cos

Current size about 6 inches
20180525_080433.jpgfh tank
20180525_080233.jpgpleco nearly all healed 20180525_074518.jpg
When he was removed, obviously in worse condition than I thought Screenshot_20180525-080749_Gumtree.jpg

20180525_080433.jpg 20180525_080233.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So I had to remove the pleco from the fh tank in fears he was going to get killed, picture of him after I had removed him to another tank below, he got pretty nipped up, nearly all healed now.

Now my issue is algae in the tank and on the driftwood, weekly 50% water changes, trickle sump etc. So I'm on top of that, but!
Is there any type of algae eating fish that anyone can think of that would be compatible, I was almost thinking a large bristlenose which is still small because he'd be able to hide during the day? Or unless there's an additive that keeps the algae at bay.

The fh is 100% more active now she has the tank to herself though which is my main concern as I like the way she is now in the tank. Comes to surface to wait for me to feed etc

Pictures of below just cos

Current size about 6 inches
View attachment 1316554fh tank
View attachment 1316555pleco nearly all healed View attachment 1316556
When he was removed, obviously in worse condition than I thought View attachment 1316557

View attachment 1316552 View attachment 1316553
I would say no. Control the algae by reducing time light is on also less feeding. Water changes and filter maintenance will help.

ny.subway

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 31, 2017
Maybe putting a heater too.. is this an acrylic tank? How many gallons?

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
Try an inline uv sterilizer. I have the same issue in my male jag tank. The uv helped, but its still a weekly algae battle. They do sell like algae liquid. I have some at home but havnt used it. Not a fan of adding chemicals if i dont have to

Reactions: Tobeyh and tlindsey

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I had this same issue and like others am not hip to adding chemicals into tank unless absolutely necessary.

So instead I came across and purchased some Azoo Active Filter 4-in-1. 1 of the 4 components (Far Infrared-Rays, whatever the heck that is) claims to reduce algae. And adding 2 liters into my internal, corner overflow filter (80g tank) did exactly that -- 99% of nuisance algae was gone after about 1 week, just a little bit around a few suction cups -- for over 6 months now. After 12 months it needs to be changed out.

But I have a simple, bare bottom tank set-up and didn't really have that much algae to begin with, I'm really not sure how well it would work with a heavier algae problem.

I was thinking to post a mini-review about this biomedia that maybe most have never heard of, but haven't got around to it yet. Easier to find here in Asia but you can order online from a number of places.

AZOO ACTIVE FILTER p2.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store