750g plywood tank build. help me check my work!!!

Atomic081

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2017
Hello everyone,

Im getting ready to start my tank and I wanted to double check my ideas before I start this weekend.
I build custom homes, so this shouldn't be out of my wheelhouse of a project.

Tank is 120"x48"x32"

The Tank will be a saltwater reef Inwall.....the hole is already framed in (mostly still need to put bottom wall in under hole) and prewiring is already finished

Step by step plans

1. My plan is to use 4'x10' 3/4" plywood to make a open box 32" tall. I will be making the tank in my future Family Room outside the hole because of the space I have in this room to move and install Glass
2. Cut out a hole on one end leaving 4" on each side and 2" on the top and bottom for the Glass
3. Once The box is made im going to Fiberglass the inside of the box.
4. After this I will coat the fiberglass with 3 (or more) coats of Epoxy to make it waterproof
5. Put Tank on its front edge leaving hole for glass down
6. Install a (rough measurements) 120"x30"x3/4 Glass over the hole facing down. Have a powered caulk gun for this already.
7. At this point the tank is made and I will slide it into the hole from the outside. (stand will already be made inside the hole)
8. I will then be building a 2x4 wall around the tank level with the height of the tank and securing the wall to the structural wall of the house.
9. I will be setting the tank back 2" into the 2x6 wall the hole is already in. I will use this 2" to put structural trim on the front side of the tank with the glass panel. This will be done all the way around the hole to help support the front edges.
10. I Do want to use the 2x4 wall to hide plumbing for overflows and Electrical
11. After plumbing is done im going to foam a good portion of the 2x4 wall with a closed cell foam. This is done for 2 reasons. 1. Insulation of the tank since its in a cold basement. 2. Structural support between the plywood of the tank and the 2x4 walls. I know since the tank cannot be screwed to the wall, this will be a good way to tie them together.
12. At the end i am going to work on some sort of top bracing from the 2x4 wall, to the front of the tank/2x6 front wall. I will be running 4 250w metal halide lights, so my goal is to adjust the front bracing to that it doesnt interfere with the lighting.

Other thoughts:
Three 12x12 port holes from the back and side of the tank to get a different view from the fish room.
The back and sides, I will be doing a Rock wall using liverock and some sort of masonry to mortar the rocks together.

Thoughts, Comments, Ideas, Suggestions????

Thanks
Ross

Loco Lucas

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2018
Belgrade Montana
Sounds like a plan, I have not made a plywood tank but will probably have to. Very interested how this turns out. I do not have enough information on just how much a 3/4 inch sheet of plywood can hold...

Atomic081

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2017
Sounds like a plan, I have not made a plywood tank but will probably have to. Very interested how this turns out. I do not have enough information on just how much a 3/4 inch sheet of plywood can hold...

The plywood alone wont really do much, its more of the shell that holds it together until the next step. The fiberglass will do alot to help the hold the weight, the Epoxy also is a HUGE help. I think with just the 2 of those things i would be fine short term. The 2x4 wall wall around the back of the tank and attaching the tank to the 2x6 wall in the front will really make it strong i hope. I would just feel alot better hearing from people who have done this before.

Loco Lucas

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2018
Belgrade Montana
I have seen others do it, but I worked in construction for 30 years and have seen concrete forms blow out. So... I am not so sure!
I think your idea of the 2x4s on the outside will really help. Post more photos as you go!

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
I recommend access panels above the front of the tank. Wiping down the front glass from behind the tank sucks.

John04

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 26, 2015
I recommend access panels above the front of the tank. Wiping down the front glass from behind the tank sucks.
Definitely, I have an inwall tank and not having front access really makes things difficult in terms of scaping and maintenance.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
I don't fully follow your plan to support the tank from busting out, so I won't comment there. Though I will say the "port hole" idea sounds super cool, but will make things significantly more complicated and prone to failure - if you want to see all around the aquarium you should probably just fork up the money for an acrylic / glass aquarium...

With 1,000 Watts of Metal Halides and a well insulated tank you may need to plan more for cooling than heating.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store