GT Breeding

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
So I am going to change out my stocking...

Stocking:

1 Male Green Terror
4 Female Green Terror
1 Male Bristlenose
2 Female Bristlenose
4 Pictus Catfish
20 Buenos Aires Tetra

I was wondering about what size would be a good size tank for growing out the fry...

This is in a 150 and I remember from an other thread I made that you guys said I need a second tank for the fry...

Also I want to know EVERYTHING you guys know about breeding GTs cause I need to know...

fishbum

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2007
Antarctica
You need a breeding tank with just the adults, no tank mates. Keep it bare bottom with terracotta pot or breeding cone in it. You also need a fry tank.

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
You need a breeding tank with just the adults, no tank mates. Keep it bare bottom with terracotta pot or breeding cone in it. You also need a fry tank.
Can I not put the parents in there... then in like a week after the fry hatch put the parents back in normal tank?

Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 Gourami Swami Gourami Swami Chicxulub Chicxulub

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Can I not put the parents in there... then in like a week after the fry hatch put the parents back in normal tank?

You can remove and put parents back in the main aquarium but sometimes the bond of male and female can be broken.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

MrsE88 MrsE88

Spence

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2015
MA
Not sure why you’d need a separate tank for the parents unless there is too much aggression. Let them lay the eggs and once they start wiggling pull them out and put the wigglers alone in another tank. If the first batch doesn’t survive to wiggler stage, you can always pull just the eggs.

As for tank size for the fry, I have mine growing out in a 5 gallon at the moment to keep feeding simple. Then they’ll move to a 29 where I’ll start to decide which ones I want to keep, and which I’ll try to move. I’m hoping the 29 will be ok to grow them to at least an inch. If I had the space I’d probably go with a 40 gallon breeder as the grow out tank.

But fair warning my terrors have proven to be fairly prolific so far, so expect more fry than you know what to do with.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store