Are brine shrimp eggs bad for fish?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have heard the shells are not good for fish, but don't know for sure

I have been using these mini-hatcheries (from Brine-Shrimp Direct, where eggs are sprinkled around the edges, and the top has a hole in the middle where light enters in that small area. The newly hatched gravitate toward the light, where a little scouper is sitting.

lift the scooper full of artemis, feed and put back, the egg shells are left around the side.. after a couple days
I throw the hatched (and unhatched) eggs, and salty water outside into a pan where many still hatch over timeand the algae feeds some to adulthood

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Spence

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2015
MA
This is what I use for brine shrimp:
IMG_4339_pe.jpg

The bottom cost $5 from Amazon and can fit a regular 2 liter bottle. Once the shrimp hatch I turn off the air bubbler and shine my cell phone light at the bottom of the hatchery. Most of the hatched eggs will float to the top after a few minutes and the shrimp will move towards the bottom and the light. The first glass typically has many of the unhatched eggs witch sink to the bottom of the hatchery but after that its pretty much just shrimp. The shrimp are pretty easily seperated out by again shining a light to the glass. I use a 3ml pipette to get the shrimp from the glass to the tank but a regular drinking straw would work just as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store