Help! I can't stop this!

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Curious why you ask? It’s not really possible. I have almost 1500 gallons of water and use a drip for most of it. I mostly keep SA cichlids too.
previously i had blood parrots with similar white spots that look fungal, then slime started coming off... this is in a comm tank and only they were affected. But they will always appear fine after a WC. It happens to an extent that i had to increase WC from weekly to 3-4 days, anything longer than 4-5 days and they ended up dead or almost dead. They eventually died

i tested my water and ammonia, nitrite and nitrate was fine during that time. Suddenly i day i decided to test PH i realised my PH drop from about 7+ at 1st day to about 6 on 4th day.

I then buffer PH with 10lbs of coral chips and after testing it remains at 7+.

I added another 3 king kong parrots and so far they are still doing fine.

so i was wondering could it be a PH problem... either too high or too low

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
previously i had blood parrots with similar white spots that look fungal, then slime started coming off... this is in a comm tank and only they were affected. But they will always appear fine after a WC. It happens to an extent that i had to increase WC from weekly to 3-4 days, anything longer than 4-5 days and they ended up dead or almost dead. They eventually died

i tested my water and ammonia, nitrite and nitrate was fine during that time. Suddenly i day i decided to test PH i realised my PH drop from about 7+ at 1st day to about 6 on 4th day.

That’s interesting.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
what i observe,

2nd or 3rd day the spots will appear, usually on the fins or tail, the next morning you will see whitish slime coat all over body. By evening they be very weak to the extent of laying on floor or struggling to swim. If WC not done that same night, likely will be dead next morning

Once WC done, the whitish slime coat will drop off from body, similar looking like parasitic poo, and within an hour or 2 they will all be actively swimming like nothing happen.

Replay everything in the next 4 days.... this only happened to my blood parrots and fire eel

other tankmates was silver dollars, asian arowana, 2 endi bichirs and a albino clown knife fish. No such symptoms on them.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
I’m giving it a try again. I have 18 sveni coming in from wetspot today. The 3 qt tanks they’re going on have been drained, bleached, drained, let dry then filled and drained using dechlor 3 times. I seeded sponge filters in another tank and have the temp set at 76. Fingers crossed!

richyrich

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2010
uk

Hi mate, just wondering was this your PH crashing due to low KH

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store