What fish for pond?

JonathanKrakes

Feeder Fish
May 31, 2018
Hello everyone.

I was wondering what monster fish could survive in an 8ft long, 7ft wide and 2ft deep pond in the winter? I live in Michigan, so it gets fairly cold in the winter here. I would say low 30's for water (Fahrenheit). I was hoping gar, but they can not stand that cold of water. Unfortunately I am unable to tub because my tubs are only 55g. I was also thinking of goldfish because I am able to tub them. By the way, the pond is 800g if that helps. I was really hoping if there are any very aggressive ones I can keep, such as ones that will eat live mice and live fish? Thank you!

Best regards,

Jonathan.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I lived off Lake Michigan for over 20 years.

I personally wonder if 2 feet deep will cut it in Michigan. People say they get 8-10 inches of ice on a 4 foot deep pond in that region, so it doesn't sound promising.

You'd probably want to ask some folks who have Michigan ponds. If you don't mind the expense of heating it, then you'll open up some more options.

As far as catfish, avoid any that are tropicals.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
All above are bad choices, if you can make it deeper you could get a couple hybrid sunfish, which are aggressive personable and big ones can eat pinky mice and feeder fish.

Do you have turtles ?

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
With a pond that small you'll need a heater and pump for Jan, Feb and possibly some of Dec and Mar to keep it from freezing solid.
My dad's neighbor's pond froze solid 2-3 years ago and it's 5' at its deepest and about 30' across.
Lots of dead bluegill and large mouth bass.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store