Sick fish,please help

Savethemall

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2017
Hi, I have a Geophagus who today out of nowhere started sympotms that fit to "whirling disease". He has episodes of spinning since this morning and he dosent eating{yesterday he ate} there were no other sympotms iv noticed. He is alone in a 60 L quarantine with 2 internal filters, temp is 26 C ,amonia 0, nitrit 0, nitrate 10 and i dont have pics for now. After doing some research I read about a parasite that is the accepted reasn for the diseae,but its sounds weired to me beacause it known to infect via worms that used as live food where i never used any,and also it is more common on cold water fish like salmons. in other article i read that nitrofuranol is a reccomended med for this. So i decided to try all: i have Furan {nitrofuranol},i have Leviamisole and i have gyrodol{praziquantel} and i want to use them all together. Im trying to get info if its ok to use them together,also if only 2 of them are ok together. I would also appreciate any suggestion for other ways to treat but i really ant to know about the usage together of these, thank you!

Savethemall

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2017
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/whirling-disease.263409/

I don't know if you already read this story but it sounds like the damage is permanent
Hi thanks for replying. I know that this is severe. but we dont know what the cause and therfor we dont know what the outcome will be, its like when we see pinecorning fish we assume its bacteria causing "dropsy" but its not necesserly true, the pinconing is a symptom indicates kidney failure and the cause for this can be many things and its probebly will affect the outcome of the treatment. I heared about a few cases that didnt survive and about a few that did with the same whirling symptoms so i want to try to treat. Do you know about the combination that i want to try > nitrofurazon+lvamisole+praziquantel?

blackwolf911

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
new york
Hi thanks for replying. I know that this is severe. but we dont know what the cause and therfor we dont know what the outcome will be, its like when we see pinecorning fish we assume its bacteria causing "dropsy" but its not necesserly true, the pinconing is a symptom indicates kidney failure and the cause for this can be many things and its probebly will affect the outcome of the treatment. I heared about a few cases that didnt survive and about a few that did with the same whirling symptoms so i want to try to treat. Do you know about the combination that i want to try > nitrofurazon+lvamisole+praziquantel?
I don't know much about diseases or their treatments honestly.. you sound like you did a good amount of research.. hopefully someone else can chime in.. if they don't try renaming the thread nitrofurazon+lvamisole+praziquantel together?? Maybe someone will see that and answer more quickly

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
how does anti parasitic medication like levamisole and praziquental help with whirling disease?

Savethemall

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2017
how does anti parasitic medication like levamisole and praziquental help with whirling disease?
most of the sources claim the cause is a parasite. , rocksor do you know about the combintion im asking about?

Savethemall

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2017
I started with nitrofurazon on monday ,the first days of symptoms, added kanamycin the net day and added levamisole yesterday. Yesterday the spinning has stopped and since then he is sitting on the bottom of the tank on his side.. i dont know if this is improvment or the opposit..what do you think?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hopefully an improvement. Not sure if it’s from the meds but glad it’s over. Since u started the meds. Make sure you finish the course. Fingers crossed. Keep the water pristine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store