Ebjds sick?

icptoke3

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2018
new york
So my female ebjd has been acting kinda funny, just laying down in the corner by the heater a lot. I turned on the lights this morning and found the male and female doing the same. She stays out in the open and he hides in the cave, both kinda fins clamped just sitting on the bottom. I have 2 ebjds as mentioned and 3 smaller jds as well. Tank is 60 gal. Plenty of plants and really only one big cave. Please any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks

20180604_115553.jpg

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
IMO, either bad water, or a parasite. Possibly early stage Oodinium / Velvet. I'd try a 50% WC asap. If the Blue Jacks don't perk up fairly quickly then might consider a copper based med.

icptoke3

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2018
new york
I keep up on the water changes regularly. But I'll do a big one after work today and let you know what happens. I appreciate the response. The 3 jds are perfectly fine tho

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Blue Jacks are relatively fragile. I've kept two that lived to 5 & 6 yrs. Respectively. On the other hand three others died young. I mentioned Oodinium as a possibility due to the Jacks clamped fins and lethargic behavior. Both early symptoms of Velvet. Those same symptoms can be attributed to Hex. Beautiful fish, but a royal PITA.

icptoke3

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2018
new york
What's oodinium? I have nox-ich which worked very well on ich and supposedly velvet. Should I try that. Also melafix and pimafix which I've dosed this tank with in the passed

icptoke3

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2018
new york
So I researched oodinium and that's the same as velvet so I'm trying nox-ich. It's done wonders in the passed for ich so well see how it goes. Idk if I should raise the temp tho

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
No, don't raise the temp. while medicating. I have no experience with Nox-Ick. I've successfully used Coppersafe for Ick and velvet in the past. Let us know how it goes.

icptoke3

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2018
new york
So it's only been a couple hours, but I think I'm seeing improvement. The male came out right away when I dosed the tank. She was swimming around with the others a lil bit. Not just laying on the floor anymore. And she's certainly hungry. Fingers crossed

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store