metronidazole uses

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
What is metronidazole and what are it's uses, specifically can it be used to treat dwarf puffers, killifish, kuhli and gold dojo loaches, tetras, danios, barbs, and plecos and what is the best way to deliver the medication to fish in the e vent of an issue. thanks

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
Yep, gel food is best. So easy to mix in carotenoids or meds.

Of course, the fish have to be eating.

Metronidazole is a very safe drug and I would be comfortable using it with any fish.

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
Ok thanks, does it break down at a certain temperature, because a lot of super foods require boiling water. Can I feed them the medication in food to blackworms to feed to my puffer fish because they won't eat gel food?

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
Ok thanks, does it break down at a certain temperature, because a lot of super foods require boiling water. Can I feed them the medication in food to blackworms to feed to my puffer fish because they won't eat gel food?
Heat was a concern of mine once so I looked up the temperatures at which some of the drugs I've used would be destroyed and they were all way above boiling.

I don't know if gut loading would work.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
After 5 seconds of adding the water to the gel based food is when I usually add the medication to the gel food as I stir it. I don't put the medication in water that is rapidly boiling.

Feeding the medication to blackworms will more likely not provide enough of it to your puffers. Are these live black worms?

Reactions: kno4te

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
If they are eating frozen, you can mix Seachem focus with Seachem Metroplex so that it sticks to the frozen food, and hopefully they will ingest some of it.

Reactions: kno4te
Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
If they are eating frozen, you can mix Seachem focus with Seachem Metroplex so that it sticks to the frozen food, and hopefully they will ingest some of it.
ok thanks, do they have an expiration date or expire? I just want to know if I should buy some for the future or just buy it as needed. Also do the does change if metroplex and focus are combined or no? for example, if im using 1 part seachem focus and 1 part seachem metroplex, do i use 2 parts seachem or just 1 part of seachem, half the dose of each, if that makes sense

Last edited:

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
The
ok thanks, do they have an expiration date or expire? I just want to know if I should buy some for the future or just buy it as needed. Also do the does change if metroplex and focus are combined or no? for example, if im using 1 part seachem focus and 1 part seachem metroplex, do i use 2 parts seachem or just 1 part of seachem, half the dose of each, if that makes sense
All medications expire. There will be directions on the bottles for ratio of focus and metroplex.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store