Festae breeding and red tiger breeding

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
A few questions first off.

Red tiger? There are a few fish with "Red Tiger" in the name what are you looking at.
Are you keeping these fish for life? Or just getting some spawns out of them.

Jonathann04769

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2018
Canada
A few questions first off.

Red tiger? There are a few fish with "Red Tiger" in the name what are you looking at.
Are you keeping these fish for life? Or just getting some spawns out of them.
Red tiger Mota's sorry, I am planning on keeping them for awhile. I just ordered 10 juvies to grow out and hopefully pair up, In your experience are they worth having? I am soon getting 4 150 gallon tanks and for 2 of them I want breeding pairs, 1 for festae's and one for mota's

stratos

Dovii
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
Are you getting them from Oliver at Belowwater? I noticed them on his list and was thinking of getting some too.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
The Red Tiger Mota's I know nothing of due to them being illegal to keep in my state. So someone else will have to chime in.

Now to the Festae. So these are standard 150's right, basically a taller 125. So same footprint 6foot x18inch x 20 something inches right. If so not the best footprint for the Festae. It would work short term, but remember male Festae grow to 16in. So that 18in wide tank won't fit for them long term.
I love Festae and want a tank of them in the worst way, but I won't pull the trigger till I get a 24in wide 180gal as a min for the pair.

Jonathann04769

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2018
Canada
The Red Tiger Mota's I know nothing of due to them being illegal to keep in my state. So someone else will have to chime in.

Now to the Festae. So these are standard 150's right, basically a taller 125. So same footprint 6foot x18inch x 20 something inches right. If so not the best footprint for the Festae. It would work short term, but remember male Festae grow to 16in. So that 18in wide tank won't fit for them long term.
I love Festae and want a tank of them in the worst way, but I won't pull the trigger till I get a 24in wide 180gal as a min for the pair.
Its actually custom made 40" long 30" wide 30"tall

Jonathann04769

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2018
Canada

Hi I was wondering hypothetically speaking if I got a 300 gallon tank and divided it could I keep 2 separate pairs of fish in the same tank with them still being willing to breed?

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Hi I was wondering hypothetically speaking if I got a 300 gallon tank and divided it could I keep 2 separate pairs of fish in the same tank with them still being willing to breed?
I don't see why not. A lot of breeders use separators so the fish don't kill each other. There is a slit on the bottom, they set a plate there she lays eggs and he does his part. Not sure if they spin the plate or what.

Jonathann04769

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2018
Canada
I don't see why not. A lot of breeders use separators so the fish don't kill each other. There is a slit on the bottom, they set a plate there she lays eggs and he does his part. Not sure if they spin the plate or what.
What I meant was if there was one pair on one side of the divider and another on the other side of it

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
That could work as well. But need to be carefull breeding can be hard on the pair. Of the Festae breeding I have been follwing on YouTube there are a lot if deaths.
Like this one guy had to put a milk crate into his tank with a small entrance only the female could fit into for his breeding to succeed and not kill one of the fish in the process.
Now it maybe a lot easier if breeding younger fish, tho some sp. don't sexually mature till they are big fish, like Oscars don't mature till 1.5 years old.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store