Unknown catfish, weird parasite

Slayer_will

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2018
When I first got into the hobby probably about 9 months ago I bought a catfish from one of my local shops but they didn't know what it was and neither did I. He's very active and interactive and doubled in size but hasn't grown much in a few months, not really worried about the growing thing but today I noticed it looks like he has some sort of white worm like parasite on his belly near his anal fin, I tried taking pictures of it where you can see it but of course I couldn't get any good ones but I'll post what I have anyway. He's in my 20 gallon community tank, I introduced two small pacu's into it 2 weeks ago and one came down with lymphocystis yesterday and has been in quarantine since than, just want to see what everyone thinks if this could be that also or what? And also if anyone knows what type of specious that'd always be good to know as well, will post any pictures I have of him to get a positive idea on a specious and will also post what I have trying to show the odd looking parasite thing on him

Slayer_will

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2018
This first one was the best picture I could get of what I think is a parasite it's the one white worm looking thing between his too back pectorals near his anal fin, the rest are just to help you guys to figure out what specious he is
IMG_9536.JPG IMG_9538.JPG IMG_9539.JPG IMG_8217.JPG
IMG_8219.JPG

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
Pacus get huge get rid of them they need 1000s of gallons of water could have parasite is his poop white? also ur tank seems way overstocked

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
It's a hoplo cat don't know to much about them I know they don't get to big but don't quote me on that.... Imo a 20 gallon is to small a 40-55 gallon would be better for it, definitely get rid of the pacus they are a monsters and grow fast

Reactions: J. H. and kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hoplo catfish for sure. Can’t see in the pic what ur calling a parasite. If you can bet the fish and take pics up close.

Slayer_will

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2018
Pacus get huge get rid of them they need 1000s of gallons of water could have parasite is his poop white? also ur tank seems way overstocked
Already have some large ones in my predator tank (300 gallons) and once they outgrow that I have a pond to put them in just have them in their so they can get a little bigger before going in the predator tank. Havnt noticed white poop but will check tonight.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Slayer_will

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2018
Already have some larger pacu's in my predator tank (300 gallons) and once they outgrow that I have a pond to put them in just have them in their so they can get a little bigger before going in. Have a 45 gallon with a hand full of small semi aggressive's he'd do fine in.

Slayer_will

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2018
Because it looks like the worm has a fork in it, it could be an anchor worm. Does it look like the long worm like things on this goldfish? If it does, you need to get dimilin-x, Hikari Cyropro, or Microb-lift Anchor worm treatment.

Didn't really look like it had a fork in it more just like a straight line and a lot thicker, same length as those tho.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store