Mystus singaringan

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Have a few of these guys. Quite common here but quite rare too in the hobby. Think it as asian pimelodus catfish. Come with 3 color variation, pink, gold & silver. Same as other bagrid catfish, quite aggressive.

Better if kept in ponds, they are schooling fish. Who would've thought, a schooling bagrid. Beautiful pelvic fin, light blue in color. Growth rate, very slow. Not worth to record it.

The silver variation
image.jpeg

The gold variation

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Got any pics of the pink variation
The pinks, are seasonal. Last time I catch was about 10 years ago. They don't come from the river like other two, they come ponds & lakes. Biggest too, pink variation grow around 12" while the silver about 10-11" & gold only 8-9". Not different species according to ichtyologist here.

Planet catfish got one photo of the pink variation. The picture below. Not from my collection. Source: https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/image.php?species=mystus_singaringan&image_id=12614

image.jpeg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Great thread! I enjoy learning about new fish from posts like that. Wish we had more of them where people showcase their local ichthyo-fauna and keep updating with visuals and facts and write-ups. This would take our site and our hobby to a whole new and higher level.

I've heard and saw the fish only once or twice before. Never known of the color hue variants. Indeed, so much like Pimelodus blochii in many respects.

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Great thread! I enjoy learning about new fish from posts like that. Wish we had more of them where people showcase their local ichthyo-fauna and keep updating with visuals and facts and write-ups. This would take our site and our hobby to a whole new and higher level.

I've heard and saw the fish only once or twice before. Never known of the color hue variants. Indeed, so much like Pimelodus blochii in many respects.
Yes, I too was hoping there's introduction threads about the lesser known catfish species. Not much info on fishbase or planet catfish except for description. Its hard for me to search info on a certain catfish but the info isn't there, same as Sperata sp. That's why I tend to make my own info about em. Hopefully, this catfish intro thread will help others understand more & make reference in future.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store