DIY filter improvement

JohnnyHyde

Exodon
MFK Member
May 27, 2018
twentyleagues, I was having in mind exactly turbos, superchargers, etc. vs just pure litrage. There are 4,0 engines that produce 210 HP and ones, that produce 600+ HP.

About the needed nutrients - BB needs oxygen. It can come with water in the form of o2, or it can come in the form of.... no3. In case of lower flow - the filter will even lower no3 in water chemistry, because of absence of oxygen.

Here's a great explanation:
https://www.quora.com/How-does-beneficial-bacteria-clear-the-water

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
twentyleagues, I was having in mind exactly turbos, superchargers, etc. vs just pure litrage. There are 4,0 engines that produce 210 HP and ones, that produce 600+ HP.

About the needed nutrients - BB needs oxygen. It can come with water in the form of o2, or it can come in the form of.... no3. In case of lower flow - the filter will even lower no3 in water chemistry, because of absence of oxygen.

Here's a great explanation:
https://www.quora.com/How-does-beneficial-bacteria-clear-the-water
Anaerobic bacteria will convert no3 which can be acheived with low o2 low flow. But it can not nitrify ammonia which is what we are worried about here, mostly I think atm. Ammonia nitrification takes o2 or plants can consume it also. So you are correct but at the same time we need to worry about adequate surface area and flow to supply it with o2 to nitrify the ammonia and nitrite.

DamoAu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2018
I never have an issue with my water it’s more a less the particals in the water cause I’m keeping cichlids they stir up the gravel a lot

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I never have an issue with my water it’s more a less the particals in the water cause I’m keeping cichlids they stir up the gravel a lot
Yeah we got off the main subject there. Just do one of those things and you'll be good! Filter floss will catch smaller particles but will also clog faster.

DamoAu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2018
Allgoods thanks for the help, I’ll try sticking a bottle on an see how I go I’ve done that in past with smaller filters in the past, just don’t like the bottle it’s “meant” to be a display tank however I think that just ain’t gunna happen with this stocking

Reactions: twentyleagues
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store