new guy to the forum

DOOB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2018
toronto canada
hellooooo ya"ll just signed up now lookin to have some fun and laughs meeting likewise aquarium lovers while I get reacquainted to the aquarium world. its been 12yrs since ive had a tank up running. ive really found out how old I am here the last week or so LOL. I brought up from the basement an old 30gal tank and set it up in the kitchen. as I cycle my new tank I go to the local aquarium store to buy some parts for my trusty ole vortex diatom filter. basically the young-ins workin there, had the ole deer in the headlights look on their face as I asked about parts for this wonderful contraption. even online its just aboot impossible to get parts for it up here in Canada. then when I asked about a reverse flow powerhead for my undergravel filter setup they fell over laughing!!! I guess they are outta style now?? anyways, the tank is up and running 7 days now and the cycle begins. threw a couple rummynose tetras in today to start seasoning the tank. so far so good. couple more weeks and I can start looking for 2 small redbelly piranhas. or maybe a few wimples instead. ive never tried the wimples. any suggestions on other piranhas?

Reactions: J. H.

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
hellooooo ya"ll just signed up now lookin to have some fun and laughs meeting likewise aquarium lovers while I get reacquainted to the aquarium world. its been 12yrs since ive had a tank up running. ive really found out how old I am here the last week or so LOL. I brought up from the basement an old 30gal tank and set it up in the kitchen. as I cycle my new tank I go to the local aquarium store to buy some parts for my trusty ole vortex diatom filter. basically the young-ins workin there, had the ole deer in the headlights look on their face as I asked about parts for this wonderful contraption. even online its just aboot impossible to get parts for it up here in Canada. then when I asked about a reverse flow powerhead for my undergravel filter setup they fell over laughing!!! I guess they are outta style now?? anyways, the tank is up and running 7 days now and the cycle begins. threw a couple rummynose tetras in today to start seasoning the tank. so far so good. couple more weeks and I can start looking for 2 small redbelly piranhas. or maybe a few wimples instead. ive never tried the wimples. any suggestions on other piranhas?
red bellies get to big for 30g get exodons they are related to piranha but more aggressive and smaller so u can have them in a 30gallon I would have 8-10

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Welcome, I would do a wimple in there personally. Steer away from rbp unless your gonna upgrade, even then imo you need 6+ to disperse killing.
Why not try a trio of rainbow snakeheads, plant it all out, that would be cool.

Reactions: tlindsey

DOOB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2018
toronto canada
thanx for the welcome. I luv the idea of the exodons I think ill look intp that. the red bellies would eventually be moved to a 90gal. was gonna buy them small and raise them till I can build a stand/cabinet this winter to set my 90 on.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Welcome, undergravel filters are have not been popular for a while now.

A lot has changed over the years as knowledge and technology has advanced

Reactions: tlindsey

DOOB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2018
toronto canada
LOL you aint kidding!! thanx for the welcome. been 10 days now and the tank is pretty much cycled by the looks of it. that prime I used works wonders it seems. the tank looks beautifully clear now after a couple spikes. plants are looking vibrant and healthy and my sacrificial tank cycling minnows are starting to play and zoom around. ill let it run another week with them and then I will start planning which species to throw in. im really leaning towards the bucktooth. they look like fun.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store