Several types of morays commonly caught in Indonesia's rivers

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
I can understand that. This is valuable information! I'll keep this in mind for my next build if more G. Tile are in my future. I desperately prefer to mimic biotopes whenever possible.

I suppose that location also makes a lot of sense considering where I had success, and where failures approached. I am sad to confess that you are absolutely right when it comes to how sensitive they can be. I only had an inkling when I first started with these particular eels, and while they survived and were rehomed as fat and happy - they were very sick when I first retrieved them. You cannot help but miss these animals when you invest after so long.

With my first rescue, I had no idea what I was doing. (Who does?) - but you learn. - but small tweaks lead to massive success. Homemade plant overhangs and banks and masked powerheads near the surface on deep tanks, and a bubbler near the filter. I cannot stress using overhangs instead of caves or pipes. They would hide their food if I wasn't careful, and leave bits everywhere. U shaped hides were way easier to keep them secure and to not move everything after feedings.

For me, they thrived in groups. Even the most defeated eel was more eager to eat if there were others in the tanks... but since they were rescues - I never even considered adding other species to their tank.

If I were to take in more eels, I am curious as to if another ghost ribbon may cross my path, or perhaps a new G Tile estuary themed biotope would be in my future. We shall have to wait and see. It's all a learning process.

if you look closely, under the S. Sathete there is a tiny G. Tile :D

Indeed they do good in groups, but if same species, better not keep a pair. Three will do fine even if different sizes. If different species, BW/FW morays tend to be courteous to each other (my G. Polyuranodon and E. Rhodochilus are good friends). But we still have to watch out during mealtime, if they are hungry, these semi-blind eels sometimes bit their friends by accident.

I have some success using minimal decoration (just beach sand, small dead corals, bogwoods, pipes). It's easier to vacuum the sand than to seek food leftovers in cracks on the rocks.

Thank you for the idea of using overhangs, I will keep that in mind. Right now I am not using any because I have G. Polyuranodon and they LOVE to jump, thus I have to lower my water level to prevent them from jumping (I never had any of my morays jumped out ever). So I cannot use overhangs now. Maybe later when I can get a bigger home and a bigger aquarium :D

You are very nice person to be willing to save those eels. Morays are beautiful in their own way. Once I got hooked with morays, I no longer interested in any other fishes, except for those FW fishes that I already have in my other aquarium. Morays are the kind of fish that are a joy to keep, once they get adapted and feel comfortable in their home. If all the initial requirements are fulfilled, they are actually rather low-maintenance. Even feeding them isn't so expensive.

Kris P Bacon

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2018
GOD's country Arcadia Fl. Chasing mollies
All this time I thought only freshwater lobsters are capable of such aggressions. Now I think I must be aware of the macrobrachiums as well when they grow bigger.

With that being said, macrobrachiums doesn't usually last long (those large ones of mine are big exceptions) because when they're moulting every several months or so, they are very vulnerable. Even their fellow shrimps will attack them.
Even my tiny grass shrimp, are the undertakers of my tank.

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
I spoke to soon. Just came home to see my fattest mosquito fish, swimming around with a tail sticking out of it's mouth! Who can blame it? Shrimp are tasty!
:D well, I hope it's not a too expensive meal :D

Here in my country, Amano shrimps and Red-Cherry variant of the Amano are essentially not so expensive, but they are so tasty that none of them last a day in my aquarium.

Macrobrachium shrimps are even more cheaply, and lived a bit longer, but they are seasonal, within a year there will be a month or two where they are nowhere to be found, even if I go down myself to the river with a hand net, I couldn't find them.

The easiest to find are Poecillia Reticulata guppies :D But they grow big a bit fast, and large guppies are not so interesting for my small morays :D

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Kris P Bacon

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2018
GOD's country Arcadia Fl. Chasing mollies
:D well, I hope it's not a too expensive meal :D

Here in my country, Amano shrimps and Red-Cherry variant of the Amano are essentially not so expensive, but they are so tasty that none of them last a day in my aquarium.

Macrobrachium shrimps are even more cheaply, and lived a bit longer, but they are seasonal, within a year there will be a month or two where they are nowhere to be found, even if I go down myself to the river with a hand net, I couldn't find them.

The easiest to find are Poecillia Reticulata guppies :D But they grow big a bit fast, and large guppies are not so interesting for my small morays :D
Free from the river, but like you they cant be caught all year. I have had them about 2 months, no mortality until today. Though some had eggs when first caught, no idea what come of those?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store