Single Male Lago Peten Melanurum in a 125 gallon (or Synspilum!)

Steve Paul

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2018
Hey folks....I had a single Synspilum from Jeff Rapps in a 125 gallon for 8 years that died about 18 months ago. I have kept fish for 20 years but, losing this fish was emotional. He was easy to care for, wasn't shy and wasn't massively aggressive, and would brush against my arms when I was cleaning his tank. Wonderful cichlid...a true pet.

Well,I am ready to get another Central American wet pet. I am doing preventative maintenance on the two FX5's that I already have and updating my water-changing equipment to eliminate the 5 gallon hand carry method. In addition, I am purchasing new in-line Hydor heaters along with a separate controller.

I plan on ordering a male, Lago Peten Melanurum from COTA (apparently he will have some soon) and a male Synspilum from Jeff Rapps and compare the two as they grow out. I will only be keeping one fish...and will be selling the other fish that I decide not to keep (I like just one big fish in a 125gallon...no anxiety!). The two fish will be segregated from one another by a divider....I don't want any battles or damaged fish.

I just thought I would share this to the group....I am new to MFK. I know some of you want to see the differences between the two morphs and will take pictures on a weekly basis to detail how they look and act.

Thanks for reading....

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I also had a melanura, synspillum and Bifas from Rapp a few years back. I have different experience from yours. While Vieja species are not overly aggressive to one another in a group, IME, a solitary Vieja is skittish and a bad candidate as a solo wet pet.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
I like the approach you taking to keeping centrals, it will be good to see them grow side by side for a while. Personally I would order more then one of each, they can be very tough to sex, you have a choice on which has the best personality.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
I also had a melanura, synspillum and Bifas from Rapp a few years back. I have different experience from yours. While Vieja species are not overly aggressive to one another in a group, IME, a solitary Vieja is skittish and a bad candidate as a solo wet pet.
Agree I found them to be very skittish till 10+ inch.

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
FYI- CoTa has listed melanuram as “available soon” for about 6-9 months

Also, he had never returned any email I’ve sent.

Jeff, on the other hand is very responsive and easy to work with.

Steve Paul

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2018
My Synspilum was skittish for the first 5-6 months. I also had a Coatzacoalcos (that was a beautiful blue color) that was skittish for the first 6 months. As soon as they hit about 7-8" they became much more confident...and then more so, the bigger they became. I am a patient man :)

Reactions: dan518

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
The
My synpspillum has never grown out of shyness at 10+ inch. He was more bold younger in company with his juvenile siblings. But after I removed all his siblings and becoming the lone species with other tankmates, he became more timid. He is the largest fish but always the last one to come out to feed, and will jump up if I approach the tank suddenly. I had other Vieja species behave the same, unless they are kept in competition with its species group.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store