Proud mom of 2, and I got some questions...

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
I went out today & tried to pick up the NLS brand, but alas, none of my stores carry it. So I'll be searching online to find a supplier. You guys have sold me on the necessity of getting them on pellets, at least partially.
amazon is a good place for pellets I feed hikari carnivore and shredded tilapia. I do have a tank that only eats live since butis butis are pretty much impossible to get off live so what I would do in your case is get some(20-30) smaller livebearers(guppy, platy, mosquito fish....) and after quarantine add them all to the tank and let them breed there but in your smaller tank about once a month buy some replacement fish and quarantine then move them to the main tank and repeat. That way they can grab a feeder if hungry but their main food would be pellets. I had this setup in my bichir tank with mosquito fish and it worked great until they ate all the babies and males and I couldn't find anymore males

Cthulhubone

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2018
amazon is a good place for pellets I feed hikari carnivore and shredded tilapia. I do have a tank that only eats live since butis butis are pretty much impossible to get off live so what I would do in your case is get some(20-30) smaller livebearers(guppy, platy, mosquito fish....) and after quarantine add them all to the tank and let them breed there but in your smaller tank about once a month buy some replacement fish and quarantine then move them to the main tank and repeat. That way they can grab a feeder if hungry but their main food would be pellets. I had this setup in my bichir tank with mosquito fish and it worked great until they ate all the babies and males and I couldn't find anymore males
Thats sort of the setup I have now, my Uncle's guppies bred out of control. Unfortunately after the 3 guppy, my bichir has managed to eat the remaining 23 by herself in about 2 days. I'm going to use pellets till I figure out a way to get a better constant supply.

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
Thats sort of the setup I have now, my Uncle's guppies bred out of control. Unfortunately after the 3 guppy, my bichir has managed to eat the remaining 23 by herself in about 2 days. I'm going to use pellets till I figure out a way to get a better constant supply.
you might try mollies the adults are to big for sens to eat, I stopped using mollies because they are the only normal fish I really like and my afer knifefish, Jacka$$, was going after the adults even though they were too big and just injuring them but with sens I doubt that would happen. My 1st sen ate 50 platys in the 1st 2 weeks and doubled in size so he got his own 55 gallon

Reactions: Cthulhubone

Cthulhubone

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2018

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Define not well?

Vallis either melts or goes nuts it seems :)
PH won't be such a biggie, do you use any ferts?
It just gets algae on it and dies.

Vals grow pretty well for me. Algae is still so so though.

For ferts, I use liquid potassium and liquid excel. However, I also use flourish tabs.

Reactions: Hendre

Cthulhubone

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2018
So, it's been awhile since I've posted. I've started a small tank with guppies & minimal plant life. It is damn annoying to fish out fish, heh, with obstacles so I set up my old tank to get a supply going on the side. I only have 2 female guppies now, cause my bichirs have a sexual preference.
So far my larger bichir has murdered a beta (I should have known better, he didn't even eat him. It was a bad death and stupid on my part), and ate 10 tetras, 4 male guppies (hence why i started a separate breeding tank), and 3 shrimp.

Both have taken to the pellets. I feed live fish 1 day, pellets 2 days, then live.
I've noticed that there's already issues between my 2 bichirs. 1 is significantly smaller then the other and I typically have to "hand feed" the smaller one to make sure its eating. Outside of food hogging, I don't notice any weirdness between them... But the smaller one never left the hide/bust I had placed back inside.
Any tips on dealing with an ******* bichir? It was recommended to me that I get a third, which I will do but I'm hoping with time & effort might make that not necessary. $20 is a little annoying to pay especially when it just equates into more money/space/bigger tank in the future.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store