Looking for large community friendly cat... Suggestions?

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
So Im looking for a large community friendly cat, any suggestions?

Tank is a 300 gallon 96 x 24 footprint. A tall show tank. Filtration is 3 FX6's.

Occupants are currently peaceful community with
14"+ pearsei
9.5" Heterspila
18.5"+ Polypterus endlicheri (WC-this one can be aggressive toward other polys)
17" Polypterus Ansorgii
16" Polypterus sp. Faranah lap.
16" Polypterus Weeksii

I really like Giraffe cats and tried a Volta a few years back. It was a tank destroyer and rescaped it real well. I did rehome that one. I did the Volta catch location due to the thought it is a smaller variant, never kept it long enough to find out if that was true.

I do like the thought of a large synodontis like a red tail squeaker (clarias) or maybe a hemi synodontis membranacra (mustache cat).

Anyway, any suggestions from you cat experts?

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Forgot to add, I had a hopplo cat for the longest time. Loved that cat but rehomed because I was going with large lower jaw bichirs. So my taste in cats is more the small mouth, sand sifting types. But something large enough to hold its own to a bichir.

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Does it matter if it's a hider or not?

Active or not? Or how active?

Non-small-mouth and non-sifter ok?

There are big hoplos, up to 10"-12". I had one.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Does it matter if it's a hider or not?

Active or not? Or how active?

Non-small-mouth and non-sifter ok?

There are big hoplos, up to 10"-12". I had one.
I guess preference would be active, non hider. Small mouth preferable but not a 100% issue since all fish are fairly large.

I know J jaws7777 has his vulture cat and jaguar cat with the polys and they do fine but was looking for something a little different...

My Hopplo had maxed at about 6" and I felt it was just too little to be with the big lower jaw polys

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Ok I will say the p. Ornatus is a predator catfish and will eat things that fit in its mouth, but that is most fish right. Just no Tetras lol

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I will say take a look at p. Ornatus. Max out around 12in mark, small mouth, sorta active, beautiful markings View attachment 1320600
These are a good option if it comes in large. The larger lower jaws will make a meal of them as they are brought in 4-6inches. Even large ornates have a narrow face and may get swallowed by the large endli. It’s a slow grower as well. If needed will have to grow them out.

May need to consider bolt, vulture and ageneiosus sp.

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
Pteradoras Granulosus, I have an 18" one in with black neons.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Ok I will say the p. Ornatus is a predator catfish and will eat things that fit in its mouth, but that is most fish right. Just no Tetras lol
With an 18.5” endli I dont even try any small fish.

These are a good option if it comes in large. The larger lower jaws will make a meal of them as they are brought in 4-6inches. Even large ornates have a narrow face and may get swallowed by the large endli. It’s a slow grower as well. If needed will have to grow them out.

May need to consider bolt, vulture and ageneiosus sp.
I do have a 65B to be able to grow out to a certain degree but cant really do it too long term with a small, slow grower. Good reminders too about the lower jaws... they can eat surprisingly large things.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store