New Angelfish suggestions

Brazzen1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
Chickasaw Nation
Hi everyone, it's been years since I had asngerls and am going to get either one or two. I did look at the sticky and am confused because I was told that Leopoldi were smaller than the others. Are they that much more aggressive than the others, are they on par with what other cichlid as far as aggression goes? The last two that I had were always fighting and they were quarter sized. Should I get wild caught, what I am planning, or captive bred, please give me some reasons. The tank is a 75 gallon cichlid grow out, don't know what kind because it's a grab bag. It's veeeery well planted. Well thanks guys.

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
Buy whatever ones you like, but its best to buy 5 minimum to disperse the typical angel aggression. Your 75 will work for 5, but you might have issues with space when/if you get a pair.

Reactions: tlindsey

Brazzen1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
Chickasaw Nation
Thanks decoy50 for the info, I was thinking that the other cichlids would take care of any angel aggression. Would they just ignore the other fish?

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
I've always found angel aggression to be conspecific in nature and not much attention paid to other fish. Unless you have a spawning pair

Reactions: tlindsey

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Depending on what the other cichlids are they might not be great to keep with angels. Angels are relatively low on aggression scale for cichlids.
The captive bred "fancy" angels which have been in the hobby for generations, such as the "Koi" angels, could probably adapt to your 8.0pH water just fine. I generally don't recommend messing with the pH, makes it hard to get it stable and stability is usually more important than being "correct". I wouldn't try putting wild caught angels in 8.0 pH though.

Reactions: decoy50

Brazzen1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
Chickasaw Nation
Thanks G.Swami, that's why I was thinking. The reason I was considering WC was that they are supposed to be able to deal with other fish's aggression better than tank raised. I don't really want to ness with the pH either, for the same reason that you mentioned. BTW, I wasn't going for something super aggressive, if that's what they were to send me, I would just set up another tank.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
WC do tend to be more aggressive, as far as dealing with other aggressive species better I am not sure, they are still angelfish with flowing fins. Anything African or central American will probably tear them up. South American dwarf cichlids are about all I would put with the angels. Even at 3-4" most centrals will probably abuse the angels.

Brazzen1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
Chickasaw Nation
Wow, thanks again. People had told me that within reason they could hold their own with fish that were their own weight. Maybe I'll just put the angels on hold until I move, the new house will have well water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store