Electric Blue Acara in 40 gallon...growth rate

Steve Paul

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2018
I am helping my 22 year old daughter with a new fish. She had an Angel and 6 corydora in a 40 gallon w/Cascade 1000 filter (sand substrate, fake plants, some nice hiding spots) for 6 years. The Angel died about 6 weeks ago and she decided she wanted a new fish. She decided on an Electric Blue Acara. I kept a Blue Acara for 8 years and have some experience with them.

But, the Electric Blue Acara that we purchased is only about 1.5" long and I don't have much experience with such a small fish.

We are feeding some Omega One flake and NLS 0.5mm pellets. Its been about a month and the little bugger hasn't grown much. He (she?) is eating pretty good....feeding 3 times a day and doing 75% water changes every 3 days.

Anyone have any idea how fast an EB Acara grows?

Thanks for reading.

Reactions: tlindsey

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I raise these and have had them for about 3 years. I have found their growth rate is similar to regular Acara.
Clean water and high quality food will go a long way. It may just take more time.
It’s possible that you have one that has been stunted.
Out of the spawns I have had they were always some that just didn’t grow or keep pace with the others.

Serpentine

Piranha
MFK Member
May 17, 2018
Mine have tended to grow rather quickly. I have one right now that I bought as a 1.5 incher about 6 months ago and she is now about 4.5 inches and heavy-bodied. That's been typical IME. I don't expect her to grow much beyond that as they don't get as big as regular blue Acaras.

Steve Paul

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2018
Thanks for your replies folks....I think I have the feeding and water change practices down (Ammonia/Nitrites are 0, and I keep nitrates below 20). The EB Acara is eating well and meeting me at the front of the aquarium. I am probably just being impatient.

Reactions: BIG-G
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store