Oh no, ick?

Kris P Bacon

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2018
GOD's country Arcadia Fl. Chasing mollies
I have a 29 gallon. Sailfin mollies (some) have white dots on tail fins. Recently had some deaths, they go lethargic on the bottom, then kick off.
Other fish are small plecos and gambusia, none effected. Only the small mollies are effected. (hope I don't lose "big daddy")

I just got done reading guppies thread on treatment. Can I use non iodized salt? Can I net effected fish and physically remove the spot?

All fish are wild caught and untreated.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Wouldn’t physically remove the spots. Need to treat with salt and heat or with meds. Gotta choose on or the other form of treatment.

Prefer noniodized salt due to potential packing agents in it.

Salt 1 tsp per gallon x 3 (6hours apart). Increase ur temps to 86degrees. Get a powerhead or pump to churn the water. Once the spots are gone then leave like this for an additional 7 days. Gravel vac and clean as normal. Every water change replace the amount of salt removed. It take a couple weeks for it all to clear.

Other option is meds, can try paraguard, Kordon ich, and api ich cure.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
The whole tank is infected, so you have to treat everyone in it. With the salt treatment, you have to keep the temperature at 87F or higher so that the ich will stop reproducing. Salt will kill the ich when they hatch from the gravel.

Pickling salt or ice cream salt will work. Some folks even use water softener salt.

Last edited:

Kris P Bacon

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2018
GOD's country Arcadia Fl. Chasing mollies
The whole tank is infected, so you have to treat everyone in it. With the salt treatment, you have to keep the temperature at 87F or higher so that the ich will stop reproducing. Salt will kill the ich when they hatch from the gravel.

Pickling salt or ice cream salt will work. Some folks even use water softener salt.
What about plain, non iodized salt?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Do a water change now. Then add the salt. 1 tsp per gallon and repeat again 6hrs and then again after another 6hrs. This will be a total of 3tsp per gallon. Do it in these increments so not dump a lot of salt at one time.

Replace salt with the amount of salt taken out. So if 100g, do a 50% water change. Replace water and add salt for the 50g removed for a total of 3 tsp per gallon. So 50x 3 = 150tsp (~3cups).

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Kris P Bacon

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
A pic would really help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store