Reeflo Pump Heat?

marsh1n

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2014
United States
I finally got my 675 set up and its been running great for a few months. I have an Ultima II 4000 for the filtration and a reeflo Hammerhead as the return pump. With head loss, I'm seeing about 4,000 GPH.

All has been going well, but the pump is really hot to the touch. Hot enough that my water temp has increased from 78 to 81 in 2 days. I've been doing water changes to lower the temperature, but the temp goes back up in a day or so.

The room is about 75 degrees and the tank has lids, so the room humidity is normal.

I assume the heat is being caused by the pump. Could it be from something growing in the Ultima? Does anyone else with reeflo pumps see this much temperature increase in their tanks?

Reactions: mrrobxc

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I finally got my 675 set up and its been running great for a few months. I have an Ultima II 4000 for the filtration and a reeflo Hammerhead as the return pump. With head loss, I'm seeing about 4,000 GPH.

All has been going well, but the pump is really hot to the touch. Hot enough that my water temp has increased from 78 to 81 in 2 days. I've been doing water changes to lower the temperature, but the temp goes back up in a day or so.

The room is about 75 degrees and the tank has lids, so the room humidity is normal.

I assume the heat is being caused by the pump. Could it be from something growing in the Ultima? Does anyone else with reeflo pumps see this much temperature increase in their tanks?
I run a number of Reeflo pumps and Ultima combos. They put off heat for sure. The hammerhead is a lot of movement. You can put a small PC cooling fan over it and that will help dissipate the heat.

A cold drip system along with a Reeflo combo like that make for a nice low maintenance offset from one another. Would love to see this beast!

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I would also love to see this setup. Btw how do you measure your true gph?

marsh1n

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2014
United States
I'll post some pics when I have a chance. I'm using the hammerhead because my ultima is in my basement, so the pump is about 8 feet below the tank.

I had this setup for another tank with the same pump, but I did a cold water drip. I have not set up the drip yet for this tank, I guess that will be next.

Thanks.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Hammerhead is 350 Watts or so, most of which will end up in the aquarium.

What kind of lights are you using? That’ll also add heat.

Does it have direct sunlight?

A bubbler and no lids will cool it
Down, but increase humidity in the room.

Otherwise you’ll either need to add a cold water drip like others have said (no water changes!), or a chiller. Or get fish that like 82 water...

marsh1n

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2014
United States
Hammerhead is 350 Watts or so, most of which will end up in the aquarium.

What kind of lights are you using? That’ll also add heat.

Does it have direct sunlight?

A bubbler and no lids will cool it
Down, but increase humidity in the room.

Otherwise you’ll either need to add a cold water drip like others have said (no water changes!), or a chiller. Or get fish that like 82 water...
I'm using 3 Prime HD Freshwater lights. I've turned the light off to the tank, only ambient room light for now.

The tank get a little sun. Not direct, since there is a big tree in front of the window.

I added a fan pointed at the reeflo and it seems to help a little.

I'm going to add a cold water drip to the system this week. The biggest issue I have is I'm going away for 2 weeks and I don't want the temp to spike above 82 when I'm gone.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I'm using 3 Prime HD Freshwater lights. I've turned the light off to the tank, only ambient room light for now.

The tank get a little sun. Not direct, since there is a big tree in front of the window.

I added a fan pointed at the reeflo and it seems to help a little.

I'm going to add a cold water drip to the system this week. The biggest issue I have is I'm going away for 2 weeks and I don't want the temp to spike above 82 when I'm gone.
Curious how this is going. I’m using to Eheim internal pumps and a reeflo super dart for my ultima. Temp has gone from 77 to 82. Connecting my cold water drip today so we will see if that helps at all.

marsh1n

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2014
United States
Curious how this is going. I’m using to Eheim internal pumps and a reeflo super dart for my ultima. Temp has gone from 77 to 82. Connecting my cold water drip today so we will see if that helps at all.
I'll be honest. I've been out of the country for 10 days. A friend is feeding the ray in the tank, but nothing else.

I have a cam set up to monitor the conditions, and so far the fish are not dead. My temperature readout slipped out of view of the camera, so I'm hoping not to come home to water temp above 82.

Honestly I'm really surprised at the temp increase. I had the same pump on my 220 and never had an issue. I was doing a 20 gallon per day cold drip, but I'm shocked at the speed the pump can increase the temp from 78 to 81 after a water change. My total volume is probably 725 gallons with the Ultima.

When I get back Friday I'll update and post a few pics of the setup.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store