How much condensation do you get with indoor ponds please?

Kye0001

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2018
Hi everyone. We’ve recently rescued a redtail catfish and I’d like to build him an indoor pond. We’re in the uk, and I’m aware that condensation/mould could be an issue. We do have windows open most of the time as I’ve got dogs but I’m concerned about the humidity in my lounge.

I have three turtles and once the youngest two are bigger I’d like to put them in the pond too if the redtail stays as placid as he is. Will a dehumidifier be enough to control the condensation a pond could cause?

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Kye0001

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2018
I never thought of that. My sons got a lot of snakes in the lounge so their substrate should absorb it also. What’s the best plants for absorbing it and stopping the mould please?

If anyone else has any tips or hacks it’s greatly appreciated. I’ve kept fish for 25 yrs but never monster ones.

Has anyone kept turtles with a redtail with success please? I’ve always wanted one but never felt it’s fair on them. This poor fella was in a tiny tank for over a year and couldn’t even turn.

257892DC-E041-4822-A413-11733806C072.jpeg

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I never thought of that. My sons got a lot of snakes in the lounge so their substrate should absorb it also. What’s the best plants for absorbing it and stopping the mould please?

If anyone else has any tips or hacks it’s greatly appreciated. I’ve kept fish for 25 yrs but never monster ones.

Has anyone kept turtles with a redtail with success please? I’ve always wanted one but never felt it’s fair on them. This poor fella was in a tiny tank for over a year and couldn’t even turn.

View attachment 1320242
Make sure the turtles aren't bite size, if you got decent lighting than a red wax seal palm would be cool

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Will a dehumidifier be enough to control the condensation a pond could cause?
I don't see how that can be answered without knowing stuff (the size of the pond, potentially wind speed in the house, the temperature and humidity inside and outside, the size of the dehumidifier, etc.)

You can always install the pond and see what the internal humidity levels are afterwards, but if you want to know in advance, I'd get an expert to look at the space and give him the question. Mold in the house can be very dangerous and expensive, so I'd consider that a must-do step in adding a pond to a house. Just my conservative view.

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
Keep the pond covered. The dehumidifier will just suck water out of the pond.

I used an air exchanger to keep the humidity down. The winter (in ny) was the challenge.

How big of a pond? Mine was 500 gallons.

Kye0001

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2018
We’re going for a 6ft x4 ft x3 ft deep. He’s been kept in a 3ft tank for a year and it’s taken him a while to get used to a bigger aquarium. I don’t want to scare him by giving him too bigger space. We’re probably moving within a few years so this ones only temporary. He hasn’t grown while he was in the lfs but already gained a couple of inches with us. He’s 20” at the minute.

Wind speed...not got a clue. I only shut the patio doors when it’s snowing or raining heavily. Windows only shut in the snow. Temperature...it’s warm at the moment as it’s summer. The average water temp in my tanks is 23 degrees without a heater in summer (all have heaters though) and in winter we can get down to -4 air temp outside. My heatings set to 23’ in winter though so I do keep the house quite warm.

I’ve asked a couple of pond companies about indoor ponds and they’re a pretty new concept round here...basically they laugh and say it can’t be done.

What’s an air exchanger please?

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
We’re going for a 6ft x4 ft x3 ft deep. He’s been kept in a 3ft tank for a year and it’s taken him a while to get used to a bigger aquarium. I don’t want to scare him by giving him too bigger space. We’re probably moving within a few years so this ones only temporary. He hasn’t grown while he was in the lfs but already gained a couple of inches with us. He’s 20” at the minute.

Wind speed...not got a clue. I only shut the patio doors when it’s snowing or raining heavily. Windows only shut in the snow. Temperature...it’s warm at the moment as it’s summer. The average water temp in my tanks is 23 degrees without a heater in summer (all have heaters though) and in winter we can get down to -4 air temp outside. My heatings set to 23’ in winter though so I do keep the house quite warm.

I’ve asked a couple of pond companies about indoor ponds and they’re a pretty new concept round here...basically they laugh and say it can’t be done.

What’s an air exchanger please?
Sorry for the delay. I am traveling in se asia.

Air exchangers are used to circulate the air. I had mine hooked to a humidity control switch. When the humidity reached 80% it turned on.

Obvious problem is all your heat also leaves. I got killed on heating this past einter. It was extra cold extra long for me.

Kye0001

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2018
Thanks for the reply, we’ve had a rubbish winter also. I lost one of my turtles who’s been great outside for years . Brought the other one inside and he’s doing well now. He won’t be going back outside anyway so I’ll have to take the risk. I’ll have a look at air exchangers, also with him being by patio doors I can add an extractor fan onto the wall if I need it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store