Diagnose the doo

AWildMarowak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2018
7D6351DD-072C-4460-9E65-C339137C248C.jpeg 3631A472-9008-4458-8158-704D2354930B.jpeg A4CBE077-9DE7-469C-A2FD-F337EEFE146F.jpeg 5F3CDB84-D084-4A6E-A06B-6B56831A6067.jpeg Hey everyone, first post so I’m gonna run through that sticky’d list and try to be as thorough as possible.

I currently have a 55gal fresh water tank set up specifically for my SRD FH, I run about 7ph and keep my ammonia, nitrate, nitrite neutralized, all checked with my API test kit. I usually vacuum all waste after feeding and do a 50% every week. The water is kept at a warm 86F, with a nice sandy bottom, no decorations or plants.

Water is filtered with a Fluval 406 which I clean every couple weeks, if not monthly. Been running this setup for over a year but just within the last three months took all my previous fish out, cycled it just water for maybe two weeks, and added the SRD. He’s probably pushing 2.75”, maybe 3”. I was feeding him two times a day and would switch up his diet with cichlid gold, freeze dried shrimp, fluval bug pellets (forgot the actual name), and frozen bloodworms.

On to the issue;
Within the last two, maybe three weeks he has lost his appetite almost completely and I’ve been seeing a lot of white poop with what looks like a weird bubbly membrane. Prior to this I had supplemented his diet with some live foods (goldfish, a whole bunch of feeder shrimp) and kinda just passed off the white poop as those guys being passed out the back door but, combined with the lack of appetite I considered worms. The more I read it seemed like Hex though.

I figured I’d post some pictures and see what you guys think, I’ve started to dose the tank with metro and I’ve seen a little bit of return of appetite but, he seems to only eat the frozen bloodworms and no freeze dried or pellet foods. Attached are some pictures I took yesterday, any comments or advice will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Brettnewell4454

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2018
Keep dosing the tank, also add some salt and soak the blood worms in metro and focus. The instructions on the bottle. If he doesn't start to improve you could try NLS hexshield food.

AWildMarowak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2018
Yeah I’m over feeding him live food, rather just go freeze dried/frozen/pellets to make sure he doesn’t catch anything.

Reactions: tlindsey

Brettnewell4454

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2018
I do frozen and freeze dried. And sometimes I'll get love crawfish and freeze them for a week. I need my own ghost shrimp for a while too. Probly not hex but could be. Either way that hexshield meds will kill anything else too

Reactions: tlindsey

AWildMarowak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2018
I do frozen and freeze dried. And sometimes I'll get love crawfish and freeze them for a week. I need my own ghost shrimp for a while too. Probly not hex but could be. Either way that hexshield meds will kill anything else too
Do you think the metroplex will be enough? He doesn’t want to take in any pellets currently and I could mix that with bloodworms (which he will eat). Other than the white poop and the loss of appetite he seems pretty normal, he’s really perked up since I’ve started to treat the water. I live in Alaska so it’s kind of difficult to get “specialty” items.

Brettnewell4454

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2018
Yes metro is a great med. But you'll need to get focus too to bind it and maybe some garlic guard, which is optional. When I qt new fish they get 4 weeks of chloroquine phosphate, with metro in water for the first 2 weeks and in food for first week.

Brettnewell4454

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2018
That is my procedure for salt. With fresh the time frames are usually in half. I haven't gotten a new fw fish in a long time

AWildMarowak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2018
I’ve read a few different things and am still unsure, what kind of salt are you recommending I use?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store