Ich on severum?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There is a parasitic trematode that lives in the skin of fish temporarily, and does not hurt the fish (although it causes a spot).
The fish is then eaten by a bird, the birds droppings infect snails, and the cycle starts again.
Without the fish being eaten by the bird, the cycle goes no where.
As far as salt goes, any concentration under 3ppt (parts per thousand), does nothing to effect ick, and won't cure it.
If you do add salt, salt (NaCl) is salt, so whether you use rock salt, water softener salt, table salt, or whatever, its all the same, only the cost is different.
I have successfully used water softener salt to cure ick. At about $5 for 50 lbs. I had to treat 1000 gallons, so buying aquarium salt was not a reasonable, or economic option.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There is a parasitic trematode that lives in the skin of fish temporarily, and does not hurt the fish (although it causes a spot).
The fish is then eaten by a bird, the birds droppings infect snails, and the cycle starts again.
Without the fish being eaten by the bird, the cycle goes no where.
As far as salt goes, any concentration under 3ppt (parts per thousand), does nothing to effect ick, and won't cure it.
If you do add salt, salt (NaCl) is salt, so whether you use rock salt, water softener salt, table salt, or whatever, its all the same, only the cost is different.
I have successfully used water softener salt to cure ick. At about $5 for 50 lbs. I had to treat 1000 gallons, so buying aquarium salt was not a reasonable, or economic option.

Brettnewell4454

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2018
3 ppt is roughly 1.0026 SG to get there in 125 gallons would require 3 to 4 cups. So me saying start with 2 in 12 hours is right on the money to start with because it is far more stressful going up in salinity than down for fish. Then you can build from there. I've gone past 8ppt very slowly for some strains of ich. Others are gone long before 3ppt. I qt and treat lots of fish for people.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store