Black belt ID please

mr cichlid

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
I say amazing female either pure breed, line bred or many generations removed from hybrid. If i didnt have to buy a hundred black belts from different distributors to land true beauty I'd always own them. See video. Seldom seen but my favorite veija when brightly colored.
Try and spawn?

Monstercam

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2017
I say amazing female either pure breed, line bred or many generations removed from hybrid. If i didnt have to buy a hundred black belts from different distributors to land true beauty I'd always own them. See video. Seldom seen but my favorite veija when brightly colored.
Try and spawn?

Thanks
Do you think that it may be showing so much color as a breeding dress? I do have it in an all male american cichlid tank, possibly her as an exception.
I was leaning towards female also due to body shape, growth rate and temperament more than anything. I have a Male fenestratus cichlid which is pretty close in age to the black belt and the fen is closer to 9-10" and starting to grow a fairly decent nuchal hump. I do have a 75 gallon free as a possible breeder but finding a male might be the hardest part. I'm guessing I will have to vent before going to the effort of finding a partner.

Monstercam

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2017
Here is a more side on pic. It just seems to have a more of a synspilum style red face don't you think but obviously has the black belt.

black belt 2.jpg

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

mr cichlid

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
I keep the blue fenistratus, argentia and synspilian because vieja are in my top five. I'd trade them all for an amazing black belt pair. I realize the fry are a dime a dozen so it would solely be for my viewing enjoyment. Where am i going with this? Why hybridnize when you stumble a classic beauty. Everywhere around the planet people striving for best flowerhorn. The question is do you like old muscle cars or rice burners. Both fun to drive but only have one garage, right? If you spawn it, I'd like fry and have plenty to trade, mashaAllaah

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The profile looks female to me too.
Although there is a chance, because it is housed in an all male tank, that its may be a comparatively subordinate individual compared to others, which could make a male display less than male dominance features.
If it is a female, I agree with Mr Cichlid, that allowing it to hybridize with another species would be a waste of good genes. Since it is a rather beautiful individual, hybridizing it would produce another group of un-identifyable mutt fry added to an already oversaturated plethora of (IMO) worthless no-name LFS pseudo cichlids.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store