Banded leporinus problem

Vibsee

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2016
India
I have two 100 gallon and one 55 gallon tank.. 2 Oscars (7 inches) in the first tank.. one severum (7 inches) and one frontosa (8 inches) in the second 100.. and one flower horn (8 inches) in the 55.. and I have a 9 inch leporinus which chases and nips all the fishes.. so no matter which tank I put him in, he dominates.. doesn't even spare the fh.. has anyone had a similar experience with lepos? I don't want to get rid of this guy because he's been with me for more than a year.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Unfortunately this is an on going issue with leporinus. Can be nippy and aggressive. Likely have to rehome it.

Reactions: celebrist

"]["

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2018
Leporinus fasciatus are territorial and aggressive by nature. Try adding an alpha check mate. might balance out the aggression amongst the tank.gl

Reactions: Vibsee

"]["

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2018
Snipping off bit of the caudal fin might temporarily subside the temperament. No worries, caudal will grow back

"]["

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2018
The Dorsal fin is lepos weakness.guaranteed it won't dominate anymore. Hah .Cutt it too if the caudal doesn't work.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Leporinus are jerks, notorious fin nippers and scale-eaters. I would get rid of the leoprinus, he has already shown his true colors. Mutilating his fins won't change his behavior in the long run, not a great suggestion in my opinion.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
They eat fish fins, scales and eyes. Sometimes you get lucky and own an individual that prefers prepared foods and is very docile. I'm not a big fan of them for this reason.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store