Maybe Blind Jardini

zekni

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2005
St. George, Utah
About two weeks ago, I rescued a sick 6-7" jardini. The owner stated he hadnt been eating and was bumping into things like he couldnt see. Turns out both eyes were very cloudy.
Its currently in a 40g breeder qtank. Ive treated the fish for internal and external parasites, and its been on antibiotics ever since. One eye has completely cleared and the other eye is just a little bit cloudy still.. but im not sure that the fish can see. It is active, but doesnt swim at the top much, but more in the middle of the tank. I caught it snapping at pellets that had gotten stuck to the filter intake before, and trying to pick up bloodworms off the bottom of the tank when it runs across them.. but its not going for anything at the top yet.
It still bumps into the sides of the tank, filter, heater, decor, ect.
How am i going to get this guy to eat if he cant see?

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Live food, he'll have to use his lateral line, you can also tong feed bits of fish by waving it around the tank

playa7

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2007
Hawaii
Can you explain further what you mean by he'll have to use his lateral line?
Per quick Google search:

Lateral line
The lateral line is a system of sense organs found in aquatic vertebrates used to detect movement and vibration in the surrounding water. The sensory ability is achieved via modified epithelial cells, known as hair cells, which respond to displacement caused by motion and transduce these signals into electrical impulses via excitatory synapses.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Can you explain further what you mean by he'll have to use his lateral line?
See above post , thanks P playa7

Movement which causes vibrations will be needed for him to find food.

On most fish you can see a lateral line that starts behind the gills and ends at or near the tail

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store