Red Tail Catfish eats fruits?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I am no expert. I don't give my RTCs fruit. I remember vaguely reading on here some report(s) of someone giving their RTC some fruit.

I think it could be tried. I just can't imagine my RTCs to accept fruit because they can get picky even with fish I offer... but I could be surprised.

Of course as an occasional thing, not a staple.

Reactions: Matteus

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Most fish like banana sweet potato and zucchini even if they are predators.

Reactions: Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I am no expert. I don't give my RTCs fruit. I remember vaguely reading on here some report(s) of someone giving their RTC some fruit.

I think it could be tried. I just can't imagine my RTCs to accept fruit because they can get picky even with fish I offer... but I could be surprised.

Of course as an occasional thing, not a staple.
I think your pacus would steal it before the rtc would even get a chance. Lol.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
The biggest thing is to monitor if they actually eat the fruit you are trying to feed. I find any uneaten bits can really mess up your water quality. My suggestion is try it just before you plan to do a water change. That's what I do with my pacu.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I think your pacus would steal it before the rtc would even get a chance. Lol.
That'd be true if I tossed the fruit in for grabs but my RTC's hand feed, at least when they like what I'm offering. Picky, fat, and spoiled gluttons.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Wow. That's neat. I hand fed my pacu some cucumber today, was a bit concerned how eager he was to chew it up. But took it quite nicely.
Hope you don't hand feed him your fingers. They can crunch up nuts with the shells on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store