Hi Everyone!

G.S.P.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2018
I've been a long time reader here but finally took the plunge and created an account because I'm about to graduate to a serious 150 gallon glass tank. The plan is to keep it as my current 60 gallon African Chiclid tank (I only have 6 currently).

I'm hoping to get some insight on filtration. I'm using a canister filter on the 60 gallon that pushes 365gph which I know is not enough for the 150. I can't afford fancy sumps so I'm wondering if adding another 500gph canister to the existing 365 would be good enough? Also thinking of going with a sand substrate which I've never done before. Any tips, suggestions would be great!

Lastly, I've been told that even with new water and substrate (going to transfer some existing rocks), that with the existing canister filter in use, the new tank should be completely cycled within 3-4 days...is this true? It took my 60 gallon tank 4 weeks to cycle but it's in pristine shape now.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

blackwolf911

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
new york
So I'm guessing you are getting rid of the 60 gal tank? The only other step I would take is to bag up some of the substrate from the old tank and put it in both the canister filters to carry over even more BB..those filters should be good enough but the tank will be under filtered a bit so just pay attention to doing water changes.. I think people try to do 10x the tank volume per hour turnover..

G.S.P.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2018
So I'm guessing you are getting rid of the 60 gal tank? The only other step I would take is to bag up some of the substrate from the old tank and put it in both the canister filters to carry over even more BB..those filters should be good enough but the tank will be under filtered a bit so just pay attention to doing water changes.. I think people try to do 10x the tank volume per hour turnover..
Hi Blackwolf911...I'm concerned with filtration for sure...I could get two 500gph canisters but I'm still concerned about whether that would be enough...I generally do small water changes bi- weekly now and it's worked out very well...I'm hoping continuing that trend with two canisters will suffice...that's a good suggestion with the old substrate in the canisters.

blackwolf911

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
new york
Welcome to MFK .. make sure you put the substrate in mesh bags .. I think you have enough filtration really. Adding more can never hurt but I dont think you will have a problem with what you mentioned.. I would put the intake tubes on opposite sides of the aquarium.. I'm a big fan of aquaclear filters.. I feel like the aquaclear hang on back is one of the best filters I've used ..dont be afraid to add one as a cheaper option

G.S.P.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2018
Welcome to MFK .. make sure you put the substrate in mesh bags .. I think you have enough filtration really. Adding more can never hurt but I dont think you will have a problem with what you mentioned.. I would put the intake tubes on opposite sides of the aquarium.. I'm a big fan of aquaclear filters.. I feel like the aquaclear hang on back is one of the best filters I've used ..dont be afraid to add one as a cheaper option
Someone else had mentioned the same thing...may go that route since it'll be more affordable...the bio load in the tank will be very small initially so I'm hoping the transition won't be too difficult...I have Prime and Stability to help ease the move...it'll be the first time ever that I'll be using more than a capful of Prime...lol.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Welcome aboard.

On my 125 I have two AC110'S and a FX4.
Really don't overlook the amount of work an AC can do. The pair turn over a thousand gallons of water an hour. Plus you can set them up how you want. Mine have two bags of bio rings and one of ammonia remover.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store