No siphon break?

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
So my 2 check valves in the basement sump have gone bad. We had a power outage last week and they slowly leaked about 60 gallons of water through the return lines. Luckily the sump is drilled for a drip system so there was no flood. The challenge is the pump ran dry once the power came on before I could get to it. It’s pretty tight down there and it will require a major overhaul to put in new valves. For the time being I planned on moving the return lines in the main tank just about to the water level so if the power went out it would break the siphon. I have 2 sides each split 3 ways with locline. I raised one locline on each side. When I cut the pump it the 2 raised portions went above water but I was still losing water down the returns. Shouldn’t that work?

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
You need a way to suck air into the system which prevents it from traveling up the return and defeating gravity. Look into a small fitting with U shape shooting down into the water. It'll be a small extra jet, but if it is above the surface, the minute the pump dies it will suck that water out and pull in air right away. Thus killing the siphon.

Reactions: jandb

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
You need a way to suck air into the system which prevents it from traveling up the return and defeating gravity. Look into a small fitting with U shape shooting down into the water. It'll be a small extra jet, but if it is above the surface, the minute the pump dies it will suck that water out and pull in air right away. Thus killing the siphon.
It’s crazy because that’s what I think it’s doing. Each section of the locline was completely exposed but it kept going. Are you describing it like a reverse or upside down trap on a sink?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Can you drill some siphon breaks right at the water line on the returns ? That's what allot of members would suggest

Reactions: pescado209

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
Well, I guess let me ask, is the end of the nozzle in the air? If it is still in the water it won't break the siphon.
That's what I'm so confused with. One section of each locline is completely out of the water yet water continues down the other two branches. Do they all need to be out of the water?

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
That's what I'm so confused with. One section of each locline is completely out of the water yet water continues down the other two branches. Do they all need to be out of the water?
Pictures would help if you have them. Based off of what you are saying though, it sounds like the other return portion is keeping the siphon running as the exit of the tank is below the water line. So I think that would act similar to Durso in your return out of the water is venting the air and allowing the siphon to continue. I could be totally wrong, just bouncing ideas.

Reactions: TheWolfman

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
The confusion is that loc line is water tight. The knuckles will not break siphon. Only a hole drilled in a knuckle that is not going to be covered by another will act as a proper siphon break

Reactions: jaws7777

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
The confusion is that loc line is water tight. The knuckles will not break siphon. Only a hole drilled in a knuckle that is not going to be covered by another will act as a proper siphon break
I think section he means 1 of the 3 split returns into the tank. So there are 3 jets, like a pitchfork returning the water to the tank. 1 of those tines is bent at the water line so it in theory would break the siphon.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I think section he means 1 of the 3 split returns into the tank. So there are 3 jets, like a pitchfork returning the water to the tank. 1 of those tines is bent at the water line so it in theory would break the siphon.
Not if the tip is submerged. Only an air hole would break that siphon

Reactions: jaws7777
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store