Water company added something to the water.

Joshomaru

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2018
I work in a city that when they change pumps, the water changes color. It is still within "safe" drinking parameters, but there is a change in the water, and that could be enough to do your fish in.
I am really sorry about your fish. I hope posting about it helps work through it though. They might be dumb fish to some people, but, when you put so much time, effort, research and love into keeping them healthy and growing them out from nothing, how can you not be attached?
If someone goes through that, and doesn't hurt, that shows some psychopathic tendencies yo.
Sorry again.

Joshomaru

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2018
I work in a city that when they change pumps, the water changes color. It is still within "safe" drinking parameters, but there is a change in the water, and that could be enough to do your fish in.
I am really sorry about your fish. I hope posting about it helps work through it though. They might be dumb fish to some people, but, when you put so much time, effort, research and love into keeping them healthy and growing them out from nothing, how can you not be attached?
If someone goes through that, and doesn't hurt, that shows some psychopathic tendencies yo.
Sorry again.

Aqualoon

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2009
Minnesota
I had this happen to a group of red heads I had a few years back. I almost gave up the hobby when it happened as I had grown these guys out since .75" fry and they were now 3 years old when it happened.

Everytime I do a water change I still have that fear running through me.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
As a former chemist/microbiologist at a water provider I do know the limits of what companies can, and must add, and what they can't (At in least the pre-fascist regime where the environment was thought to be important, unlike today). There may be a new "lack of rules and regulations" now in place.
It is possible that a main was repaired, and a slug of highly chlorinated water made it thru.
When mains were put back in service where I lived (pre- fascist), I had to approve the water being turned back on, after numerous flushes.
Water providers are however concerned with making water safe for human consumption, and "our" fish are not considered, that is "our responsibility" and/or should be.
I always tested tap water with a DPD chlorine test before doing a water change, adding it to the tank.
And under today's regime, I suggest that to anyone.
What is OK for fish, is often dangerous to humans, and vice versa.
Although in many cases, fish are not considered relevant, before retiring, I was sent out to peoples homes, when they complained because I was the "fish guy". and I did a battery of reliant tests on the tap water to find what killed the tank.
As a courtesy I often then tested the tank.
99.9% of the it was not from something the water company added, but was a coincidence that the fish died, and found something gone awry in the tank itself.
Could be a drastic pH change for certain sensitive species (often pH crash after too few water changes) Dissolved oxygen demand, and there could have been many other causes.
The only way to prove it was something the water provider added, would be to test with that battery of tests on the tap wate, and the tank water itself.

Beardogg85

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Thanks MFK members for all the input. I had these frontosas for 8 years with no problems except 2 that jumped out when the where alot smaller. I now keep CA fish that i really enjoy. I will say 2 weeks before this happened we had massive flooding and then extreme heat for 3 weeks and it is still very warm. I dont no what happened but im 99% sure it was nothing that i did or something wrong in my tank. I believe it was my water some freak thing that has happened to my fish. I love MFK im a fairly new member but seeing and reading about members fish and learning good and bad things that has happened is what this is about. Sorry about posting pictures of dead fish nobody wants to see that but maybe people will learn about things that can happen. Sorry for the long post hope it makes sense im typing this while carring my daughter down to the river. Thanks again fish keepers

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Massive flooding may have required the water treatment plant to use drastic measures to protect human health, for its water consumption.
This scenario may have made a normal dose of dechlorinator rather wimpy in comparison to what the average was, or created large swing pH changes.
I would suggest any time an event such as posted occurs, any fish keeper get a DPD test and use it on the tap water, and also test pH before water changes are attempted.
Many riverine species might only be mildly affected, but species like fronts that come from very stable natural bodies of water may not take the abrupt differences so well.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Just wanted to add,
I personally always used SeaChem safe and always over dosed. up to 5 times recommended is safe for the fish
Not exactly, and in many cases doing so could cause the same result the OP posted, dead fish.

Dissolved oxygen demand was mentioned by Duane, and Seachem Safe like most dechlorinators are reducing agents - and when there is no chlorine left to reduce in an aquarium, typically the next thing in line is oxygen. Seachem does not recommend overdosing their products, and in fact not long ago changed their dosage rate, due to the exact thing that you do. They did that because many consumers who were overdosing, killed their fish from 02 depletion, and then blamed Seachem. That's also why Seachem recommends using a half dose, if tank water is above 86F. (warm water = lower 02 levels)

Even with their current lower recommended dosage rate they only advise using 4 times the amount, and only in emergencies to lower nitrates/nitrites.

Betta fish have a labyrinth organ so much of their 02 is taken from air, instead of the water itself, so not a great species to use as a comparison of potential 02 depletion in an aquarium.

Sorry this happened beardogg.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
Thank you RD, I am glad there is someone that can set me straight when I do not get it right,

This not being sarcastic. thanks and glad to read you. :)

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
If it was chlorine/chloramine the fish should have red gills and can take up to a few days to succumb. If they died fairly quickly then I would suspect oxygen depletion.

I pre-treat and pre-heat water in a 55 gal barrel and spare tanks. Each batch of water gets its chlorine level tested and is then thoroughly aerated. I've had some of my fish since 2003 and each year I get more paranoid knowing that it only takes one incident to ruin years of work.

I've been toying with the idea of going back to RO/DI and even having some sentinel fish live in the replacement water for awhile before declaring it safe to use.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store