WTB small flathead catfish

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
That's cool. If only I could import your blue & flathead, that would be awesome. For 4-6", I could take 100 pieces each. Unfortunately, exotic monster cats are very low demand here, I couldn't even sell my MGC. People here rather choose the norm than the rare.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Why haven't you rescued any? ;) lol
Per above-going alleged extreme scarcity :)

If I take one possible meaning of the wink, I'd reply that I am not at the stage where I am ready to incarcerate an adult yet :)

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Man if you ever run in to some more I will Totally buy a few if your willing to ship
I've been thinking about it. But, it's a hard sell to my wife to justify several thousand dollars to raise another big batch of something that doesn't sell well. I might be able to sway her if I cull most of the hatch and only raise a hundred or two hundred of each species. But, first, I have to get her OK to go back noodling next winter. She hasn't let me go since my 'cardiac event'.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I've been thinking about it. But, it's a hard sell to my wife to justify several thousand dollars to raise another big batch of something that doesn't sell well. I might be able to sway her if I cull most of the hatch and only raise a hundred or two hundred of each species. But, first, I have to get her OK to go back noodling next winter. She hasn't let me go since my 'cardiac event'.
They don't have value as a food item? A 2 year old blue or flathead would have a lot of meat on it and should demand a price at a farmer's or fish market, or even to a grocery store.
Here in NY (where niether catfish is native) many of the native fish are bought by the gov't or private people for stocking ponds, lakes & rivers. As the goldfish & koi laws get tougher and people are getting more enviromentally conscious the demand is going up. (all speculation/seeing Craigslist & etc. on my part.)

suckerfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2005
LAGASH
That's cool. If only I could import your blue & flathead, that would be awesome. For 4-6", I could take 100 pieces each. Unfortunately, exotic monster cats are very low demand here, I couldn't even sell my MGC. People here rather choose the norm than the rare.
I’ll buy your MGC any day!!!! Unless vincentwugwg vincentwugwg already got it. Lol

Reactions: vincentwugwg

suckerfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2005
LAGASH
I tried to buy 10 of each back then. ....
Noodling or steady consistent heartbeat. Oh and waking up every morning! Listen to the boss

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
They don't have value as a food item? A 2 year old blue or flathead would have a lot of meat on it and should demand a price at a farmer's or fish market, or even to a grocery store.
Here in NY (where niether catfish is native) many of the native fish are bought by the gov't or private people for stocking ponds, lakes & rivers. As the goldfish & koi laws get tougher and people are getting more enviromentally conscious the demand is going up. (all speculation/seeing Craigslist & etc. on my part.)
It's illegal to sell legal gamefish in AL without a federal permit. I don't qualify for the federal permit.

Reactions: J. H.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Do your local grocery stores?
Of course local grocery stores can get farmed catfish from licensed farms. But, I've yet to see live catfish made available. All catfish are processed and, at least, gutted for sanitary reasons and so the processing centers can make additional money selling waste to fertilizer plants. That's big money considering the amount of agriculture in the state.

Duckman77

Piranha
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
Aurora, IL
I caught a 3" today using the kick-seine method. Location was a slow moving stream with a boulder rock bottom. I was alone with a 12' seine. I have never caught any flatheads, large or small, from this location. I often catch stonecats here, and for a short time a mistook the flathead for a stonecat. Sharing so you might be able to use similar techniques in your quest. Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store