Wild caught juvenile Big Mouth Bass and Bluegills... Help?

Mary Ann W.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2018
South Texas Border and coastal region. Rio Grande Valley. And I'd love a sunfish but again, not too much into the aggressive types. Much perfer schoolers or maybe a green spotted puffer... But again the aggressiveness with potential tank mates was an issue. But mainly yhe Brackish requirments was the biggest problem for me, as i have no clue about any salt or brackish type setups.
The cichlids we get are called the Texas or Rio Grande Cichlids.

220px-Herichthys_cyanoguttatum_(Rio_Grande_Cichlid).jpg

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
I'm not sure what kind of cat it was, but know we've caught big suckers out of the same canal when we were kids and we'd get some hefty buggers out of it. Maybe 2 feet long or more at times. My cousin has fished that canal all his life and was always bringing in bigger cats. I wish i had taken pics of it and really looked at it better. He had a xouple spots on his tail and was almost goldenish in color (sandy tan). Really pretty for a cat, as I'm used to the darker grey colored ones we usually see in those water. Maybe it was because he was so little.
I think its a channel catfish yah those guys need way bigger tanks

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
That was simply why I asked. No need to get in a hissy. I released them into the Reservoir that fed the canal they were caught in shortly after the post was made when my son's brought another juvenile LMB home.
However thanks for your response none the less. I am NOT ready to invest the effort into raising fish that would eventually be someone's dinner because I released it a couple years from now. I'll stick to my decorative planted tanks with with smaller fish that I CAN house.
If you want to keep native fish there is a plethora of species far more suitable than blue gills and LMB. I am rather fond of blue spotted sunfish, I used to breed them commercially and 3" or so is their max size. Black banded sunfish are in the same range if a little smaller and small catfish like madtoms and spotted bullheads are nice too.

I am fond of yellow bullheads, nice personable fish and active feeders even feeding from your hands eventually. They get a bit big but raising a fry in a tank will result in some dwarfing, probably stay under 12" or so depending on the population you acquire them from. Brown bullheads are nice looking fish but really do get to over 18" even in a tank if kept correctly and most bullheads do like to be part of a group.

yellow perch in my area seldom get larger than 8" or so but some populations get much larger. If you like predators redfin pickerels are the best choice, staying small and very colorful aggressive feeders on gambusia sized fish. Red fins usually stay below 12" in most populations, males are much smaller than the females.

Then you have all the minnows, way too many to go into here, but many are great aquarium fishes. Live bearers like Mollies, least killifish, and gambusia are easy to keep and catch. Top minnows, darters, jumprocks, the list is quite long.

I'm not sure where you live but if you are catching plecos they are probably part of a large number of invasives that escaped fish farms in southern states like florida or texas.

If you are interested in native fish this site is all about the natives! http://forum.nanfa.org/

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Arthur12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2017
Improper management.
Seen em get nearly twenty in the right conditions,under proper conditions they tend to get to 12 inches on average
Where are you getting this information? I target sunfish all over the state of Texas and Arkansas, I am good at it, and there is not a single public water fishery nor a privately managed water body that I have fished or heard of that has average 12" fish. There are fisheries I have access to where I can get Coppernose & Redear over 11" and hybrids over 10". But they don't average that size. Don't get me wrong, I'd loved to be proven wrong on private water having an average of foot long Sunfish. I will start figuring out a way to fish it as soon as it's verified.:)

I understand your point to the OP that the tank is much to small for LMB or BG's, but why go so far over the top that people (like me) who fish for/collect/keep natives must jump in and say something?

And to the other poster that said LMB get almost 3ft, no they do not, they do not grow that big in a home aquarium. They don't grow that big in Falcon Lake lol.

I have high praise for native fish. I keep them in a 1100gl Koi pond, a 250gl, 160gl, 40gl, 32gl aquariums. If anyone was going to brag on these fish it would be me, but y'all probably cant even keep a poker face when you post some of these exaggerations.

And to the OP- Good rule to keep, ---> Do some research before you put a predator in your home. I would rather have a long tank than a tall tank when keeping natives, and must have a strong filtration system, Sunnies/Bass/Cats are dirty. What I mean is, some 75gl are better than other 75gl aquariums. Gook luck to you, natives are a blast to keep, you just happened to pick some of the more demanding species, and commonly collected species that have unfortunately ended in dead fish stories because people didn't understand their fish requirements.

image.png

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Where are you getting this information? I target sunfish all over the state of Texas and Arkansas, I am good at it, and there is not a single public water fishery nor a privately managed water body that I have fished or heard of that has average 12" fish. There are fisheries I have access to where I can get Coppernose & Redear over 11" and hybrids over 10". But they don't average that size. Don't get me wrong, I'd loved to be proven wrong on private water having an average of foot long Sunfish. I will start figuring out a way to fish it as soon as it's verified.:)

I understand your point to the OP that the tank is much to small for LMB or BG's, but why go so far over the top that people (like me) who fish for/collect/keep natives must jump in and say something?

And to the other poster that said LMB get almost 3ft, no they do not, they do not grow that big in a home aquarium. They don't grow that big in Falcon Lake lol.

I have high praise for native fish. I keep them in a 1100gl Koi pond, a 250gl, 160gl, 40gl, 32gl aquariums. If anyone was going to brag on these fish it would be me, but y'all probably cant even keep a poker face when you post some of these exaggerations.

And to the OP- Good rule to keep, ---> Do some research before you put a predator in your home. I would rather have a long tank than a tall tank when keeping natives, and must have a strong filtration system, Sunnies/Bass/Cats are dirty. What I mean is, some 75gl are better than other 75gl aquariums. Gook luck to you, natives are a blast to keep, you just happened to pick some of the more demanding species, and commonly collected species that have unfortunately ended in dead fish stories because people didn't understand their fish requirements.

View attachment 1325847
You can grow bluegill quite easily to 12 inches in an outdoor goldfish pond, the key is to bring them in before the water cools so they don't reach sexual maturity (which causes them to stop , slow down growth ), keep the bluegills warm in tanks thru the winter, then put back in goldfish type pond when water warms. After two or three years when the desired size is reached you can let them breed,the juveniles then won't breed till they're roughly the size of the parents, (make sure to raise the fry with the parents ).
I have experience doing this, and wish to later attempt to grow one to at least 19 inches.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store