Help To Identify My Wolf Fish Species.

MikeDean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2018
Hello, I finally managed to get my hands on a wolf fish ( they are very rare to get a hold of here in Canada ) The guy I bought him from told me he was a Colombian black wolf, after having them both for just under three days I do not think they are this species ( I will explain why I am having my doubts in a bit ) I bought two off of this guy; one 1 1/2" and one 2 1/2" After the first day of owning them ( which was just a couple of days ago ) I put them in their cycled tank, the 1 1/2" wolf killed the 2 1/2" this set up red flags instantly.
I did my research and was led to believe ( by people I thought knew their stuff on wolf's ) that two wolf fish ( of any species ) could live together without murdering each other. I understand they will fight, tear each others fins up maim each other a bit, but to murder each other at such a young age? I now only have one remaining, this little guy ( the survivor of the battle ) is the smaller wolf at 1 1/2" he has a lot of battle wounds but is still eating still very active and extremely aggressive and grumpy.
The fight had to have taken place very late at night seeing how I keep a close eye on them during the day ( to make sure they are not sick or stressed ) neither fish was acting stressed or scared, they were even swimming together ( not chasing each other but swimming around ) As far as I am aware, black wolf's are aggressive but not to the point of this type of violence, I am not a fish expert but I believe I may have a different species of wolf other than a black wolf.
Anyone who could kindly look at the pictures I took this morning of the little guy ( I apologize for the bad pictures, he burrows under the sand a lot during the day and it is hard to get a clean picture of him ) and tell me what your opinion is of his/her species type would be greatly appreciated! I understand when fish are as small as 1" they are extremely hard to identify, with that said, any opinions would still be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I have him in a 75 gallon tank. As soon as he reaches 4"-5" I plan on moving him to a 150 gallon. His belly looks so fat because he just ate three quarter inch minnows ( and part of his brother's neck ) the night before. Not gonna feed him for a few more days so he can properly digest his recent meal. What type of wolf fish is very active and eats like a glutton while having battle wounds? This may be good evidence for more educated people than myself on wolf fish species.

IMG_20180721_082147.jpg IMG_20180721_104229.jpg IMG_20180721_083009.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hoplias malabaricus.

Reactions: Bonytang

MikeDean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2018
I appreciate your fast reply. Oh it is? It is not a black wolf then? Do mala's only get 8" - 10"? Some people say they only reach 6" some say over 12" Would you happen to know roughly how long they get? Would you also happen to know why this little guy is so aggressive to kill his brother?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Is definitely notA black wolf. It looks to be a mala barricades FaceTime color head shape. This’ll get up to 20 inches it properly taken care of. In general wolves are aggressive for territory. So if not given the proper Decour to kind of a hideaway they were directed it rest. And also you may need somE dither Fish to help distract the wolf.

Reactions: moe214

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Generals can live together. But you need the proper amount of space and Decour. You may need other fish swimming around to keep him distracted. But aggression amongst like kin occur regularly.

MikeDean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2018
Is definitely notA black wolf. It looks to be a mala barricades FaceTime color head shape. This’ll get up to 20 inches it properly taken care of. In general wolves are aggressive for territory. So if not given the proper Decour to kind of a hideaway they were directed it rest. And also you may need somE dither Fish to help distract the wolf.
Dude, I cannot express my gratitude for your help/advice. I hope you do not mind a few more questions. I have some black pvc piping all long the bottom of the tank, not just one or two pieces but I made a maze of them. I thought this would be better than plants as far as hiding spots go ads they can go in them, under them and behind them. I was obviously wrong as they met somewhere in the tank ( late at night ) and fought to the death. Now that I only have the one left could you recommend a good tank mate for this little guy? Or is he/she set in their violent ways and better off solo?

EDIT: I apologize for the graphic picture, here is the 2 1/2" wolf that the surviving 1 1/2" murdered. He has a massive hole on the other side of his neck and also his stomach, I flipped him/her on their good side as I am not trying to be graphic.

IMG_20180720_182321.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Well the maze of a PVC seems like a good idea even still. Likely better for maybe he’ll do something. But should mention that any save me it would have to be I also large tube. That will require a big well the maze of a PVC seems like a good idea even still. Likely better for maybe you’ll just look. But should mention that the any save me which would have to be I also large so fast too. That will require a big OK. So just something to consider. But could take me to include peacock bass, large catfish, Tiger dats, Other wolves, Arawana, rays, anpire chsracisn And tiger fish.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I would suggest if you’re not able to upgrade the tank. Then to just keep the fish solo buy some. Keep in mind to take me to mention easily require 300 gallons and higher.

MikeDean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2018
I would suggest if you’re not able to upgrade the tank. Then to just keep the fish solo buy some. Keep in mind to take me to mention easily require 300 gallons and higher.
Oic, gotcha! He is only 1 1/2" right now, how long will it take for him to reach 6"? He is in a 75 gallon alone at the moment. After what he did to the other wolf fish I am afraid to put any other fish with him.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It’s about a 1nch per month till 12inches.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store