Possible parasites?

Kris P Bacon

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2018
GOD's country Arcadia Fl. Chasing mollies
I noticed my hoplo catfish has what appears to be worms hanging out of his gill plates and one of my other fish (species unknown, looks like a fathead minnow) has one attached to it's back. About as long as a grain of rice and white, one end looks like a snakes tongue, a fuzzy white look.
Sorry, I have no camera. Fish are wild caught. Is there a broad spectrum paracide?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Sounds like anchor worm. Get some dimilin or microbe life lice&anchor worm tx. Shouldn’t take care of it.

Reactions: Kris P Bacon

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Just noticed a bump on the fish where the worm emerges from the body. I will have to internet order it as I live in the sticks and I am all but certain Wal Mart wont carry it.
Yes Walmart won’t have it.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Those are anchor worm. Can pull them off till u get the meds. It’s contagious and can spread.

Reactions: Kris P Bacon

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
These argulus are common in wild caught fish, and in the confines of a small tank(any tank) can become epidemic in proportion because hosts are so easy to come by.
They are actually not worms, but are crustaceans, so chitin inhibitors work well to get rid of them.
The only problem with pulling them off, is the wound then becomes a a fertile area for bacteria to infect.
In the large space of nature, they are simply an irritant, in small tanks, they become lethal.

Kris P Bacon

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2018
GOD's country Arcadia Fl. Chasing mollies
I would think that between manual removal (I understand the eggs are the forked, exterior end. Most accessible to manual removal)
and extensive water changes/vacuuming- they should be eradicable????

Wishful thinking or possible?

Thanks! *worried about my fin buddies in Arcadia*

(have grass shrimp, understand Dimicied (Sp) will kill them and uncycle the tank?)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store