Epsom salt solution help!

findingnimmo

Feeder Fish
Jul 31, 2018
Hey guys, first post here!

I have a question as I recently bought my first flowerhorn but had a question regarding treating internals with epsom salt (I keep other large cichlids and some australian natives as well aa a community tank but never had to do it).

As the fish is refusing food, I was reading about treating internals with epsom salt saturated food and worst case pipette-ing it down its throat into the stomach and that a lot of people have had good results with that.

So I tried it and now the fish has been swimming in the qt tank with clamped fins. Is this a normal reaction to the solution? I know clamped fins are usually a sign of bad water or parasite, and my parameters are perfect, 0amm, 0nitrite, bit lighter orange than 20nitrates, and the whole time the fish has been in quarantine with white poops its never had clamped fins.

Could this just mean its reacting to the epsom salt and causing some discomfort to the fish resulting in clamped fins?

Im in aus so metro isnt readily available without prescription but am awaiting internal meds for the fh from a breeder in the mail but wanted to at least try and hinder the parasites getting worse in there and the fish hasnt eaten much in three days, i need it to live til the meds arrive.

Please give your opinions or experience with treating internals this way and if you think it would be a normal response to the treatment.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
If it’s a recent purchase then it might be still settling in the tank. The clamped fins might be just from the epsom salt. It shouldn’t bother the fish but I’m sure it can tell there’s something in the water. It’ll stress the fish.

Would keep the water clean and monitor it. Also provide some plants and decor as fh’s seem not to settle and stress when in a bare tank. Likely a little waiting is needed. May have to give it a couple of days and try feeding again. Just a suggestion till u get meds from the fh breeder.

If it’s an internal infection then Epsom salt at 1 tbsp per 5g, metro to the tank, and feed metroplex mixed with Epsom solution.

Reactions: findingnimmo

findingnimmo

Feeder Fish
Jul 31, 2018
It was a recent purchase but was completely fine for two weeks in the same quarantine tank, i keep them bare for quarantine for all my fish as if theres any externals that detatch or lay eggs I can get them out easily. My water is perfect params and doing small water changes daily to just suck up the bottom in case there are any eggs or anything that have hit the bottom.

Perhaps its just the stress of the treatment, hopefully the meds will arrive soon as where Im located metro is only available with prescription from a vet and my local is uncomfortable prescribing it as they dont really deal with fish - Ive asked before for an oscar i rescued with HITH last year.

Thanks for the advice on amounts to mix with feed though, ive got some pellets pre soaked and air dried but only to a 3% solution. Will give it a go though just minus the metro!

Hopefully it pulls through :):)

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store