RODI Water Safe?

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
What exactly are you keeping and do you have water quality problems from your tap?

I wouldn't use rodi unless I absolutely had to. It wastes a lot of water to get 1 gallon of rodi. Something like 5 gallons of waste water. It also requires you to have a storage reservoir with heater for tropical species. The average system is 75gpd. You can use your waste to do laundry but I wouldnt water plants with it

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
New World cichlids is too generic a term to be considered when speaking about water.
Cichlids from North and Central America generally appreciate hard, mineralized water, pH above 7 (neutral) and as high a pH as 9.
Cichlids from the Amazon region of S America (generally prefer soft mineral free water pH below neutral, some species prefer acidic (pH 4).
Cichlids from southern S America, and those from west of the Andes can use more alkalinity neutral or slightly above .
I would never use DI water for any of the above cichlids except the Amazonian drainage species, and then I would mix it with tap, dependent on what the species was.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store