170 gallon acrylic tank uh...reset?

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Personally, if I were you, I would build a 12-18” tall stand to set it on so that the overall height is around 5.5-6 ft tall. Place a cabinet on either or both sides of it and put the filter(s) in it/them. Then, stock it with 10-12 discus and add some cories on the bottom.

For filtration, I would recommend two large canisters, either FX6’s, Eheim 2262’s, or SunSun 304B’s. Just plumb them up to the overflow and return ports.

If you can place it somewhere that you can put a sump near it, then that would be a good option too.

For water changes, you might consider drilling a hole at the bottom so you can install a valve and use a hose to just drain it outside.

I definitely think there are a lot of good options for this tank. I’m sure you can make something great out of it.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Personally, if I were you, I would build a 12-18” tall stand to set it on so that the overall height is around 5.5-6 ft tall. Place a cabinet on either or both sides of it and put the filter(s) in it/them. Then, stock it with 10-12 discus and add some cories on the bottom.

For filtration, I would recommend two large canisters, either FX6’s, Eheim 2262’s, or SunSun 304B’s. Just plumb them up to the overflow and return ports.

If you can place it somewhere that you can put a sump near it, then that would be a good option too.

For water changes, you might consider drilling a hole at the bottom so you can install a valve and use a hose to just drain it outside.

I definitely think there are a lot of good options for this tank. I’m sure you can make something great out of it.
Now we're talking. My two old 75s are freed up because of all this new tank action. One will most likely end up as a sump for this thing. Now you got me thinking.

I cant think of anything besides discus and angelfish that would enjoy such a tank though. Maybe i could do that congo biotope ive been wanting in this tank.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Just wanted to update and close out this thread. I ended up giving the tank back to the manufacturer and its rightful owner on the condition that the manufacturer rebuilt the defective tank he sold me.

Well four months have gone by and im apparently still "on the build schedule". Fingers crossed but steadily losing faith. I dont think I'll ever buy custom acrylic again after this fiasco.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store