Tank requirements

cazber

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
Denmark
Hey, ive kept Natts for about 15 years, the last one i had died at 6.6 years old after having been sick for awhile, it had been kept solo for all its life. and now i want to expand in to the hobby. Now my question is what would a perfect tank size for trying out all the Piranhas over time from Rhom, to solo Piraya. would a 530L (140G) be big enough to house all piranhas solo over time?

- Casper

Reactions: tlindsey

T374

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2007
MI
I’m going to say that it’s close but not big enough, solely for the goal of keeping the Piraya.
And that’s under the impression that you’re growing them out from a small size.

Good luck growing any Serrasalmus past 12”. They are not the issue.
My opinion, a juvenile rhombeus can live it’s life just fine in a 75/90 gal being 48”x18”.

The piraya though can, under the right care, grow monstrous and should be in something like a 180-220gal minimum.

The caribe would be next on the list of “pushing it” but depending on the footprint of your tank (24” width) could work

Reactions: cazber and tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey, ive kept Natts for about 15 years, the last one i had died at 6.6 years old after having been sick for awhile, it had been kept solo for all its life. and now i want to expand in to the hobby. Now my question is what would a perfect tank size for trying out all the Piranhas over time from Rhom, to solo Piraya. would a 530L (140G) be big enough to house all piranhas solo over time?

- Casper

180 for mature Black Rhom.

cazber

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
Denmark
So big enough to house all serras 160-180gal, and if i want to keep a piraya im looking at a 200+ gallon, yea my plan was to get them from as young as i can, to see them grow up. btw i have kept a solo RBP in a 65gal, do you guys think that is to small?

T374

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2007
MI
To be frank, growing out a serrasalmus rhombeus purchased at a juvenile size and keeping it in anything bigger than 100 gallons is unnecessary.

A three inch rhombeus will most likely feel insecure in such a large area.
Also keep in mind that serrasalmus do not grow anywhere near as fast or to total overall length as pygocentrus in the aquarium.
With weekly (sometimes bi-weekly) water changes and a very decently varied diet, my Rhombeus is just north of 10” having cared for him for a decade now. Ten years....
He’s an awesome fish with an awesome personality that took years to develope. My favorite piranha that I’ve kept by far....but no way am I buying a rhombeus that small again.

My advice is if you’re set on growing out a small rhom is to get a grow out tank for him (36”x18”) and move him to the big tank after a few years.
Or obviously buy the rhom (or manny) at a decent size of ten inches plus if the plan is to put him directly into the big tank.

DarthRhom

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2006
New Jersey
You're fine keeping any growout in a 140 gallon especially solo. Maybe you get a piraya past 16" but doubtful anything else would grow that big.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
To be frank, growing out a serrasalmus rhombeus purchased at a juvenile size and keeping it in anything bigger than 100 gallons is unnecessary.

A three inch rhombeus will most likely feel insecure in such a large area.
Also keep in mind that serrasalmus do not grow anywhere near as fast or to total overall length as pygocentrus in the aquarium.
With weekly (sometimes bi-weekly) water changes and a very decently varied diet, my Rhombeus is just north of 10” having cared for him for a decade now. Ten years....
He’s an awesome fish with an awesome personality that took years to develope. My favorite piranha that I’ve kept by far....but no way am I buying a rhombeus that small again.

My advice is if you’re set on growing out a small rhom is to get a grow out tank for him (36”x18”) and move him to the big tank after a few years.
Or obviously buy the rhom (or manny) at a decent size of ten inches plus if the plan is to put him directly into the big tank.
Agree with this. Over a 17 year period my rhom didn’t pass 10.5in when it died.

Largest piraya grown in captivity was 21in. I’d push for a 30in wide tank there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store