Sick jewel cichlid

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
One of my breeder jewel CICHLIDS looks like his gill is inflamed only on one side. I know it's hurting him pretty bad because I've never seen him this red before, not even when breeding or guarding his brood! It looks like it went down a little bit but he's still not eating. I did two water changes in the past four days as I had an algae outbreak and a mild ammonia spike which is when this started. All other fish are fine and he's swimming around and isn't acting like he's in the process of dieing, however the not eating part could lead to that if the pain doesn't stress him out too much first! I'm picking up a ten gallon to put him in to make treating him easier but don't have any clue what's going on. I tried getting a picture but he wouldn't cooperate. Does anyone have any ideas and I will try to get a picture as soon as he allows.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
One of my breeder jewel CICHLIDS looks like his gill is inflamed only on one side. I know it's hurting him pretty bad because I've never seen him this red before, not even when breeding or guarding his brood! It looks like it went down a little bit but he's still not eating. I did two water changes in the past four days as I had an algae outbreak and a mild ammonia spike which is when this started. All other fish are fine and he's swimming around and isn't acting like he's in the process of dieing, however the not eating part could lead to that if the pain doesn't stress him out too much first! I'm picking up a ten gallon to put him in to make treating him easier but don't have any clue what's going on. I tried getting a picture but he wouldn't cooperate. Does anyone have any ideas and I will try to get a picture as soon as he allows.
How old is he? Possibly the ammonia affected him more than the others.

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
How old is he? Possibly the ammonia affected him more than the others.
He's the same age as the others. He's part of one of my breeding pairs and I have a trio that took up together but they've been breeding for a year now. I'll see if he will let me get a picture of it this time. They are in a huge tank so they grew pretty fast.

Reactions: tlindsey

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
He kept moving so I couldn't get a good picture of it from the back but in some pictures you can see the pink tissue sticking out where it's inflamed especially above his black spot and another shows an idea of how far out the gill sticks out. I've got medicine for just about anything but I've never seen or dealt with this before.

Screenshot_2018-08-12-14-41-37.jpg Screenshot_2018-08-12-14-41-17.jpg Screenshot_2018-08-12-14-40-37.jpg Screenshot_2018-08-12-14-40-16.png Effect_20180812_144319.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
He kept moving so I couldn't get a good picture of it from the back but in some pictures you can see the pink tissue sticking out where it's inflamed especially above his black spot and another shows an idea of how far out the gill sticks out. I've got medicine for just about anything but I've never seen or dealt with this before.

View attachment 1329840 View attachment 1329841 View attachment 1329842 View attachment 1329843 View attachment 1329847

Yes I can see what your talking about. Is he breathing normal like the other jewels?

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
He seems to be breathing enough to be alive and swimming around but you can tell he's stressing. He seems to breath a little heavier than the others and I do know he's not eating which really worries me. The tissue went down a little bit but slowly and I'm worried he will starve before it heals completely or may need assistance to heal the rest of the way.

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
It's only the one gill and I've been able to observe close enough to know there isn't anything visible to the eye such as an injury or parasites. There's something going on that I can't visibly see besides the swollen tissue.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
It's only the one gill and I've been able to observe close enough to know there isn't anything visible to the eye such as an injury or parasites. There's something going on that I can't visibly see.
I personally would just keep the water pristine. Hopefully the inflammation of the gill will get better and the Jewel will start to eat again.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I’m not an expert, but from what I do know about jewels, is that they are extremely aggressive, especially when breeding is in their plans. Almost all the literature I have read about them says that if you have a pair breeding, that they will often kill other jewels in the tank. You said they were in a big tank, how big? I’m just wondering if you may have gotten away from territorial/spawning squabbles because of the size of the tank. Then one day this guy may have wandered a bit too far into another pair’s territory and got a bite on the gill?

I agree with tlindsey tlindsey on keeping water pristine, if you can dose with some salt and keep an eye on it. Just my thoughts.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store