New cichlid community tank

Ashdub

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2018
So my tank cracked and lost all my fish (managed to save 1 very large pleco). Tank had only cichlids-oscars, green terrors and convicts. Got a much bigger tank now 470 litres(125 gallons)...wanna restock with oscars and green terrors but also want some other non cichlid fish as well. I was thinking silver dollars, redtail or bala sharks and clown loaches but i never kept these fish before and I'm not sure if it will be a good fit. And advice if this will work and on other tank mates that might work well?

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
Well silver dollars would be your best bet, but I would say that it would overstock it with oscars and green terrors. You could do 1 oscar, 6 silver dollars and maybe some smaller cichlids or catfish

Reactions: tlindsey

Ashdub

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2018
Thanks Bertie07 Bertie07 .
Not a fan of catfish though. Any other suggestions? And is that a no to the sharks and loaches then?

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
Thanks Bertie07 Bertie07 .
Not a fan of catfish though. Any other suggestions? And is that a no to the sharks and loaches then?
Well loaches would work but the loaches would have to be big as they grow very slowly and will be eaten by the oscar, I would say 3.5-4” minimum to not be eaten. The sharks get too big for a 125 as they like to be in groups of 5 or more and are super active and can get to a foot

Ashdub

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2018
Well loaches would work but the loaches would have to be big as they grow very slowly and will be eaten by the oscar, I would say 3.5-4” minimum to not be eaten. The sharks get too big for a 125 as they like to be in groups of 5 or more and are super active and can get to a foot
Thanks for the insight

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
South american cichlids are your best bet for a community with silver dollars. I would go with at least 8 tiger SDs, a severum or uaru of your choice, half a dozen blue acaras or like sized acaras, and a half a dozen smaller geophagus like tapajos or steindachneri. You would still have room for one or two other SA fish like chalceus, festivum, chocolate cichlid, or a big pleco you may want to add to the mix later.

If you're not worried about keeping ut strictly south american, clown loaches would work fine with this community as well.

I would avoid the redtail shark. They are known to be sneaky troublemakers. Also the bala sharks which ime need a group and larger tank like 8'x2'.

Ashdub

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2018
South american cichlids are your best bet for a community with silver dollars. I would go with at least 8 tiger SDs, a severum or uaru of your choice, half a dozen blue acaras or like sized acaras, and a half a dozen smaller geophagus like tapajos or steindachneri. You would still have room for one or two other SA fish like chalceus, festivum, chocolate cichlid, or a big pleco you may want to add to the mix later.

If you're not worried about keeping ut strictly south american, clown loaches would work fine with this community as well.

I would avoid the redtail shark. They are known to be sneaky troublemakers. Also the bala sharks which ime need a group and larger tank like 8'x2'.
Thanks for the info. Silver dollars it is then

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store