Need advice on raising GT fry.....

astrocreep

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2018
Tulsa, OK
They are about 5$ at my local stores. Surprisingly the big chains dont have them here. Theres one store that has a variety of smaller species. Ive got a nice cyano texas from there i believe is a male, also a nice salvini that im not sure of the sex. I wonder if they buy those fish from locals.....

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
It never hurts to ask. I have a couple stores I can sell to, but both are small stores. Not big chain stores.

I’m still raising my first batch from my gold/silver spawn. The fry are mostly 1” or so right now. So their color has yet to really come in. I don’t think I’ll see seam color till 2”

Reactions: tlindsey

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I’ll be pulling a few for pictures soon. Today I saw one that looked like it had the tinniest hint of orange on the top fin. So I’ll take a few bigger ones out to photograph.

astrocreep

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2018
Tulsa, OK
The eggs have become wigglers and she has moved some of them to a new location in the tank. Some are left near original site but are way up under the big rock, are they okay under there?

I can pull the rocks out if needed. I need to cover the intake tube tonight and do a small water change.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I’d just leave them. Sometimes if they separate them it’s to either keep them healthier(less crowded) or because some are dying off and it’s to save the stronger ones. So just let mama do her thing:)

astrocreep

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2018
Tulsa, OK
Yeah she took it upon herself to gather them all up and move them to a third location haha. They are still wigglers, How long before the will be free swimming?

I removed the water circulator and wrapped the pump filter with a scrubby pad so I'm good to go.

astrocreep

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2018
Tulsa, OK
Thought I would give an update. Its been about a week since the last post.

My pair have about 200-300 fry i would estimate. They are free swimming pretty well. I've been feeding them finely crushed cichlid flakes and they graze on them once they hit the rocks. I've been doing small water changes and trying to keep the uneaten flakes cleaned up.

Have noticed some cool behavior from the female that I never thought about previously. She keeps scouring the tank for would be food items and bringing them to the fry. I assume this is partly how they would feed in the wild, but never really gave it much thought.

Another thing which i noticed early on was how much she moved the eggs. Any sign of me messing with the tank and she got to work. I noticed this evening that she is still sucking a few up sometimes and moving them as free swimmers. Probably nothing new but I thought was pretty awesome to see her tending to them like that.

Snapped a couple decent pics of them. Her fins are still recovering from her near death tank jump fiasco. She went insane tonight when i turned on the white LEDs.

20180822_221826.jpg 20180822_221419.jpg 20180822_221519.jpg 20180822_221917.jpg 20180822_221957.jpg

Reactions: MrsE88
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store