Need advise for my 180G setup

Zaid Z

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2018
Malaysia
Hi guys! Need some advice and hope u lot can help!

Am setting up my first 180G, with a 40G sump! Planning to house 40-60 African cichlids..pea pebbles as substrate, and rockscape smack in the middle! Tank will be in between 2 common areas, so it needs to be eye pleasing especially both sides!

Bought the tank with 1 drilled hole at the bottom, one corner of the tank! Let's just say this is the left side for easy reference! Underneath exactly is the sump

My plan is to have a standpipe (with 2.5" to 1.5" reducer at the top, toothed, and filled with Japanese mat filter to act as first stage filter) straight up the bulkhead with a 1.5" pvc..this will be gravity drop! Straight down the drain, to a 90°, to a ball valve, then another 90° then into the sump!

Sump setup will be sock > baffle > coarse filter, fine filter > baffle > bio blocks, bio rings, SeaChem matrix > return pump! A running sump is expected to fill about 60% of the 40G! Leaving approximately 15G of space in case of over flow from pump failure!

Return pump will be a 1200gph submersible! Return pipe will be approximately 4ft vertical and 5ft horizontal..if my calculations are right, with few 90° and valves, a loss of 300gph (based on my readings) will occur!

Planning to operate tank at 2" below rim, which water volume will come to 165G..meaning I will have just over 5cycles of water an hour with the planned pump and setup!

Water running into drain will roughly be 1" higher than my standpipe! In case of pump failure, that roughly 1" of water will overflow into sump..1" of water for my 6ft tank is about 7.5G! Sump is sizable enough to hold this amount based on earlier sump size calculations!

Return pipe will be on right side of display tank, attached to a few duckbills shooting upwards for surface agitation..will place a 1200gph wave maker on left side, facing down to sweep clean the substrate from food and fish waste..flow will be circular anti clockwise!

Tank will be at porch area, outside the house..so standpipe noise will not be much of a concern!

I'm not using heater, as I'm in Malaysia, a tropical country..need little to no worries about temperature year round!

On my paper this setup seems possible! Let me know if there's anything wrong with my plan, and if there's anything I can do better!

Thank you!

Cheers
ZZ

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
You must be really excited!?
You end everything with an exclimation point!
Sounds like a great setup and I'd be excited too. Only thing I'd change is sump size if at all possibe, and the sponges in the pipe if those clog you may have an overflow issue. Filter sock at the bottom of the overflow pipe will be fine. Pics when it's all done please.

Reactions: Zaid Z

Zaid Z

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2018
Malaysia
You must be really excited!?
You end everything with an exclimation point!
Sounds like a great setup and I'd be excited too. Only thing I'd change is sump size if at all possibe, and the sponges in the pipe if those clog you may have an overflow issue. Filter sock at the bottom of the overflow pipe will be fine. Pics when it's all done please.
Hahahaha! Thanks?
U feel the sump is too small? I got it together with the tank..so I might just use it? Hopefully I can fill as much with Bio media to house bacteria..and According to SeaChem, 1KG of their Matrix is enough for 800L of water..mine, display and sump would come up to just below 800L! Plus there will be few KGs of other bio rings and bio blocks!

The Japanese filter mat will be cut higher than my standpipe..in the case of fish sucked to it, they won't have the chance to flow in..and I'm not planning on using plants, so leafs etc would not be a problem! (While crossing fingers)

Hopefully I can have the tank ready early next month! Only get the chance to work on it approximately an hour a day..removing the calsium build up was crayy crayyy! Silicon reseal coming up tomorrow..then it's fill timeeeee!!

Thanks again twentyleagues!!

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Hahahaha! Thanks?
U feel the sump is too small? I got it together with the tank..so I might just use it? Hopefully I can fill as much with Bio media to house bacteria..and According to SeaChem, 1KG of their Matrix is enough for 800L of water..mine, display and sump would come up to just below 800L! Plus there will be few KGs of other bio rings and bio blocks!

The Japanese filter mat will be cut higher than my standpipe..in the case of fish sucked to it, they won't have the chance to flow in..and I'm not planning on using plants, so leafs etc would not be a problem! (While crossing fingers)

Hopefully I can have the tank ready early next month! Only get the chance to work on it approximately an hour a day..removing the calsium build up was crayy crayyy! Silicon reseal coming up tomorrow..then it's fill timeeeee!!

Thanks again twentyleagues!!
Np!
There is a saying "the solution to pollution is dilution" I always go with the biggest sump you can. Will your 40b work yup. Would a 75 or 90 work better absolutly.

Reactions: Zaid Z
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store