Choosing good koi

Do you prefer?

• Total voters

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
I think koi are more prone to disease because we keep them too clean … too much filtering and fussing to keep water perfect. Most fish would look better if kept in a big muddy pond
You are so right!
In my Dorado thread I talked about how I am trying to simulate "low tech" pond conditions in my aquarium because I too noticed that ponds with anaerobic tend to have bigger and better looking kois. The Japanese have all kinds of additives to put into the man made backyard ponds to get back some of the stuff taken out.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Agreed, there are a few breeders in the u.s who breed quality koi, but they are the exception not the rule,
And bigger ponds seem to make koi show their true potential , as a kid there used to be a several acre "Japanese garden" style pond in a strip mall, there had to be several million dollars worth of great quality koi in it, was beautiful.

davemal

Piranha
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
Neath
koi same as carp need deep ponds to exercise their muscles in all directions 5 ft seems to be the minimum although I have less at the min … 6-8 ft seems to be best. shallow ponds make slim bodied carp

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
How to get good quality koi for cheap price: find koi you like on eBay , if you bid low you can get a 100 dollar koi for a little over 50 bucks.
Or you can get a decent koi for between 8 -20 bucks

wynnyelle

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
I don't concern myself with the shows. I just keep my koi as a group where they contrast well with each other as well as ones I just like personally. Most of mine would be laughed out of a show hall but I don't care. I think they're pretty so they're in my pond.

I dug my first pond 6-7' deep at one end. My main reason was lack of space width wise so was making up for it with some extra depth. Planning on moving to a new place where I can dig an even wider deeper one. The deeper water also increases the total water volume so it is more stable.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I don't concern myself with the shows. I just keep my koi as a group where they contrast well with each other as well as ones I just like personally. Most of mine would be laughed out of a show hall but I don't care. I think they're pretty so they're in my pond.

I dug my first pond 6-7' deep at one end. My main reason was lack of space width wise so was making up for it with some extra depth. Planning on moving to a new place where I can dig an even wider deeper one. The deeper water also increases the total water volume so it is more stable.
Good the depth also makes tempeture extremes less drastic and I recommend deep and shallow areas for most ponds.
Can you post any pics?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store